+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What the???

Default Re: What the???

As I recall, 25 years ago U-Haul was a family owned company. There were 3 or 5 brothers that all wanted to be chief, which equated to no one from the top down knowing what was going on. Policies were mandated that made it impossible to operate at the store level.

Then there were the regional managers that like to come in and try to get you fired. There was a central cash drawer for 4 registers and it was against policy to use the secret bypass switch to open the drawer, you had to use the register. One day one of these yahoo's was in my store yelling and bitching that he couldn't get into the cash drawer, how the hell do you get in the cash drawer. He looked at me and asked if I knew how and I said yes, and I'd be happy to show him where the switch was (he already knew ), but that I was not going to open the drawer for him. He shut up after that.

Management took away our petty cash so that we had to rely on corporate for all our supplies, which were generally out of stock or completely unavailable, yet being a service center we were charged with keeping the equipment up and running. How do you do that when you can't get supplies from corporate AND you aren't allowed to utilize local suppliers? We'd get in trouble because we had half our fleet out of commission waiting for this part or whatever. Finally, we just put everything out on the lot and made it look like we had trucks for rent, then when we'd get to the broken vehicles those were "reserved".

But enough of that ...

Another EO story ....

The other day someone asked me to check out a shed package available at EO for them ... to see what I thought of it.

As a favour off I went .... while looking over the shed .... typical cheaply built and over priced .... there was this haunting phrase that kept sounding.

" Home Depot is a proud supporter of This Old House".

Remembering that A.Spruce said about the TOH magazine being around the checkouts..... what the heck ... went inside to have a look.

Wandered around the checkouts checking the magazine selection ..... no This Old House magazine.

It was quiet in the store and several employees were gathered around the checkouts yakking away ... I politely apologized for interrupting them to ask if they had any other place for the magazines and books.

One fellow says ... err ... umm.. I think this is all we have.

Another employee ... who seemed to be the only one actually doing something .... piped up and directed me to an area where they have most of their books and magazines.
    The first guy ... with a goofy laugh says ... " there ya go ... 2 years here .... I didn't know that".

Off I go to the area where all the books and magazines are .... everything but TOH magazine . I asked another store employee if they sold that magazine .... " hmmm ... umm .... let's see ... ummm ... errr.... I'm not sure"

Meanwhile that haunting phrase .... " Home Depot is a proud supporter of This Old House " was sounding.

Perhaps they were just sold out .... hmmm ... err ... ummm.....I'm not sure.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Perhaps they were just sold out .... hmmm ... err ... ummm.....I'm not sure.
    Priceless! LOL

Isn't this EO's idea of a sale?
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 05-30-2008 at 05:29 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

One man's regular price is another man's deal his wife can't live without.

LOL!!! ... what - Mr. Smiley's people think no one can do the math...? sheesh!