+ Reply to Thread

Smile spackle wallpaper seams

How do I prepare wallpaper seams before painting the room? I think I have to sand (220 grit) seams, then spackle with lightweight spackle, then coat of oil-based paint, then coat of latex (egg shell finish). Please help me! Thank you!

Default Re: spackle wallpaper seams

you need to sand them out, then skim coat with drywall mud sand again and maybe one more coat, sand.

oilbase primer is best, let dry over night, latex paint sherwin williams or a better grade paint.

prep work will determine the out come of this job so it looks good and you do not see the seams.
    \
    have fun and good luck

Default Re: spackle wallpaper seams

Before you start, I have to ask. Would it be easier to remove the wallpaper? It`s always the best way to go about it. Chances are, when you get done priming, after spackling, you won`t be happy with what you see after the fact.Then, you`ll have to remove the paper. If you can apply water to the surface of the paper and it gets wet, gets darker, then you can remove the paper. I don`t know what type of paper you have. It could be contact paper, cloth backed vynyl, paper backed vynyl, flock or who knows? If you are planning on painting or papering when you are done preparing your walls you will want to have the best, smoothest walls as possible. Sanding and spackling are not the best options. I`ve been papering for 35 years. I`ve seen a lot of bad decisions in my life.