+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy cant get a response anywhere else

Im looking to waterproof my basement walls and floors. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use? I was thinking of UGL Drylok latex paint for the walls. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: cant get a response anywhere else

You have water entering thru walls and floor, yes?

The bestest place to deal with this is on the exterior, not the interior.

The bestest place to deal with this is on the exterior, not the interior
    Ditto that.

My question is more for prevention. I have a small crack in the wall that is leaking very little. Overall there are no major water issues. I just want to do what I can now before I finish the basement. I will be doing some landscaping and installing better drainage in the spring.

In my opinion the DryLoc stuff is not a water proofing rather more of a damp proofing .... and more of a band-aid approach.

Hawk,

When I encounter problems such as you describe, I will usually call a company such as US Waterproofing to do the job. They have specialty substances to do the deed and if only a crack, it usually only requires that they remove the dirt along side that crack by hand. No backhoe or such.

Of course if there is a sidewalk or similar on the way, the approach and expense will vary.

Last one they did for us was simple enough and the charge was $400. Seems expensive for two hours work and a little sealer, but the repair also came with a ten year warranty. It's money well spent.

If the ground is frozen next to your foundation, you might have to wait till spring. Usually the ground isn't that hard or frozen that far down right next to an un-insulated basement wall around here, but it varies depending upon the severity of the winter.