+ Reply to Thread

Thread: groaning pipes

Default groaning pipes

I had installed a new watering system in my yard last year and basically from the start I have been startled when the timed system starts up it sounds like the house is trying to take off then after several minutes the sound evens to a steady hum till it shuts off then the noise starts again but not as bad or as long. this is an old house built in 1920 and moved to its present location in the early 50,s. We are hooked to city water What can I do to stop the racket the pipes are steel pipes if I,m not mistaken they are 1 1/4 in piping

Default Re: groaning pipes

"when the timed system starts up it sounds like the house is trying to take off then after several minutes the sound evens to a steady hum till it shuts off then the noise starts again but not as bad or as long."

My initial thought is some problem with the irrigation valves but I think we should have more information on your irrigation system. number of zones type of back flow device and such you have a number of possible problems and sounding like the house is trying to take off is kinda subjective. you may have one of the municipal systems with very municipal pressure and if you bypassed the pressure regulator you would certainly have a roaring sound and most of the regulators I see are close t othe municipal service so getting in between the two would take alot of negligence. Buuuuuut I'd really like more info.