+ Reply to Thread

Red face 1 man to do heavy sink by self.

What is the best way to do a cast iron sink by self.
    To seal it and all.

Default Re: 1 man to do heavy sink by self.

get a wagon a bucket and 2 2x4's put the bucket in the wagon put the sink on top of the bucket- pull the wagon near the counter if its not high enough that elevate the wagon .then put the
    2x4's (2inch side up)on each side of the of the sink and and edge of hole in countertop put something soft at the back side of the hole near where the faucet will be.then lift the whole thing like a see saw (fulcrum) then the sink has to be lifted high enough to clear the edge of the counter top.
    I hope you can picture this. It works if you plan ahead for all the possible slips .If you nail a small piece of wood to the end of the 2x4's then the wood will be stable and not spread apart when you lift.
    I would still offer a neighbor a cold one for a hand there has to someone to help.

Default Re: 1 man to do heavy sink by self.

I completly agree with the 2" x 4" and the fulcrum. Kohler makes a really heavy kitchen sink in the French style that you almost lose your fingertips everytime. It is just like installing cast iron bathtubs (203 of them in July '07), you have to use your mind , not the muscle. Leverage and stability. I would almost suggest build a kind of "holding rack" near the elevation you want and move it where you want it to go. Good luck. Process of elimination.