+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wireless Internet

Well......lookie what I found on that wiki wi-fi page. (About 2/3rds of the way down.)

Recreational logging and mapping of other people's access points has become known as wardriving. It is also common for people to use open (unencrypted) Wi-Fi networks as a free service, termed piggybacking. Indeed, many access points are intentionally installed without security turned on so that they can be used as a free service. These activities do not result in sanctions in most jurisdictions, however legislation and case law differ considerably across the world. A proposal to leave graffiti describing available services was called warchalking. The universal rule is a Wi-Fi Access Point that has not turned on its security is a service that welcomes its free use, while an access point that has turned its security on does not. The burden is on the access point owner to properly configure and control the access to his internet connection. In a Florida court case[citation needed], owner laziness was determined not to be a valid excuse.

Piggybacking is often unintentional. Most access points are configured without encryption by default, and operating systems such as Windows XP SP2 and Mac OS X may be configured to automatically connect to any available wireless network. A user who happens to start up a laptop in the vicinity of an access point may find the computer has joined the network without any visible indication. Moreover, a user intending to join one network may instead end up on another one if the latter's signal is stronger. In combination with automatic discovery of other network resources (see DHCP and Zeroconf) this could possibly lead wireless users to send sensitive data to the wrong middle man when seeking a destination (see Man-in-the-middle attack). For example, a user could inadvertently use an insecure network to login to a website, thereby making the login credentials available to anyone listening, if the website is using an insecure protocol like HTTP, rather than a secure protocol like HTTPS.

Ladies & gentlemen of the jury........ I rest my case.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 03-08-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Well, not to sure about contacting the "board" about access on the clubhouse 'puter. As another member here mentioned I now know where all of Hitlers Nazi's went after WWII. They serve on HOA's.

From yesterdays monthly news letter……………………..

Cigarette butts have been found in the shrubs. If you are caught you will be FINED!

People are not picking up after their dogs. This is especially prevalent between 5400 and 5600 and the bus stop. If you are caught you will be FINED!

Dumpsters are NOT to be used for construction debris. If you are caught you will be FINED!

Vehicles are not to be parked in front of garages for more than a half hour. If you are caught you will be FINED!

Repairs to the auto entrance gates have been astronomical. (It’s a 16’- 1x4 painted white with three reflectors nailed to it and someone drives through it about once a week. (LOL) But, the guard station is manned 24/7 and the gate is right outside the door, so if they are not asleep you would think they could figure it out. LOL.) If you are caught damaging the gate you will be FINED!

Oh, and then there is the years now, long saga of using ridge vent type vents on lower portions of the roofs which leak melt water in some peoples town homes. And, the ensuing law suit……….. With what we have paid the attorneys we could have just replaced the freak’n things and been done with it.

Give people a little power and many go nuts with the prospect.

Oh, and just to settle matters. I’m going to get cable and set up MY OWN router. (Secured to be sure, I do not wish to be making criminals out of the unsuspecting.)

Oh, one of my little pleasures in life is pulling my Harley out of the garage and letting it warm up. Those Screaming Eagle mufflers make sweet music to my ears as they reveberate through the garage "canyon".
    Last edited by kentvw; 03-08-2008 at 10:57 AM.

kent,

I don't think I'd be getting cable ..........

I'd be looking for a different place to live.

That place you're at is NOT for me.

I"d be hunting for somewhere in the country with the nearest neighbor about 1/2 mile away.....but with some manner of broadband connection available, of course.

(Feel free to sing along) Green acres is the place for me.......
    Last edited by goldhiller; 03-08-2008 at 11:12 AM.

It is probably even be in your CC&R's and HOA regulations "do not steal thy neighbors wifi"

Is that a typo, Sprucey?

I'm pretty sure it's........Thou shalt not steal thy neighbor's wife.

kent,

Repairs to the auto entrance gates have been astronomical

You sayin' I charge too much? Look...... it costs me plenty to bribe that guard to go have a ciggie while walkin' my dog..... so my guy can run the gates down. Prices have gone up everywhere, buddy. As far as that construction debris they're complaining about in the dumpster.....look closer.....it's the broken gates and the left-overs from building the new ones. That stuff is all legit in there. Stop whining. Surely, they don't expect me to haul that stuff away for what little you guys pay me.

And as for those roof leaks...........

Hate to tell ya, but the lawyers you hired... actually own the low-bid roofing company that did the job. You're paying them to pursue themselves. I doubt there's much future in that. I'd grab a hammer, some nails, some shingles and have at it if I was you.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 03-08-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Is that a typo, Sprucey?

I'm pretty sure it's........Thou shalt not steal thy neighbor's wife.
    Wifi ... wifee surely there's no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    kent,

And as for that roof leak...........

Hate to tell ya, but the lawyers you hired... actually own the low-bid roofing company that did the job. You're paying them to pursue themselves. I doubt there's much future in that. I'd grab a hammer, some nails, some shingles and have at it if I was you.
    Ya know, I'm just a dumb 'ol electrician who now sits and counts lighting fixtures and throws wild guesses at time and material needed to do electrical projects.......... Did you know that they are going to remodle all the units in the Morningside Tower at the Sheraton in Steamboat?....... Type "A" fixtures, 1,2,3,4..........112,113............. 253,254..........

Actually I did not realize there was an issue with the vents when I bought but even a dumb 'ol electrician looked at those roof vents and thought...... "That just don't look quite right".

The builder provided the vents for the roofing contractor to install.

Yes, If they would let me I'd be on my roof this afternoon replacing mine. Shoot I'd even be happy to pay for the materials and even the paint so that (Heaven forbid they not.) they match.
    Mine don't leak, but then mine are not in a valley that collects wind blown snow..............

If you're where cable reaches then cable internet is the way to go. I've had cable internet for the last 3 years and although a little more pricey in the longrun it's been less of a hassle than dsl through the phone company. But I have a buried line where my aunt and uncle do not and they had to fight with the cable company to credit them the days they couldn't use the cable nor internet because of the fallen limbs that knocked out the line. I don't think the dsl agents gave their customers that trouble. But I don't care for AT&T since they made a big billing error and left me with a $500 phone bill to pay just as we were supposed to be closing on our house.

I like the idea of a wireless card that can use the local cell phone tower, I would like it even more if I still had my laptop. I should have it back on Monday. I'm thinking about investing in that when my local cable/phone and internet provider offers it. It will make my son's time waiting on baby brother to practice a lot more fun if he can play on the computer instead of just on his game boy.

As far as Wi-fi goes, my cable company requires me to register every computer that's going to be using my account. Each extra computer is $6.95 a month and I have been charged when someone outside of my home used my wireless because the computers identifiers weren't registered on my account. But it was my neighbors that told me my network was unsecure, their tech found it when they had the same billing trouble. My network is secure now. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    Debby in Oklahoma

debby,

That's interesting. I've heard/know that some cable and WLAN companies require every machine to be registered (usually by MAC addy)....but here......no such thing. Two companies that offer cable internet and neither does that. Same for the two WLANs.

Each extra $6.95 ? One of my clients has 4 college age kids (each has their own LT). Nuff said.

About 12 - 15 years ago we had a very similar problem with AT&T......only related to our land line. Flipped our account into the highest rate program they offered one day. Long story short....we cancelled after having some words with them. They called several times in the next 6 weeks offering up to $300 to come back (double what they overcharged us in that one month). Nope. And I have no intentions of ever going back.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 03-08-2008 at 10:27 PM.