+ Reply to Thread

Default HELP! MSTR BEDroom is always too hot!

Interesting, but frustrating problem.....

Have a 1300 sq. ft. single story ranch in Florida. Master bedroom(front of house) is facing south/southwest, so it always gets full sun in afternoon and evening.

Bedroom door opens into living room area. Bedroom has 10' vaulted ceiling. Living room has approx. 14' vaulted ceiling. The only air return is just outside and above the bedroom door.

The problem is the master bedroom is always 8 - 10 degrees warmer than any other part of the house. The entire ceiling throughout the house is insulated very well.(crawled up and checked.) The small "master" bath is a few degrees cooler even though it has a skylight and I've left the register closed.??? Doesn't make sense to me there, but.... whatever.

The garage is next to the bedroom and bathroom and the garage ceiling is uninsulated. The air flow above the garage is able to flow into the rest of the attic space.(There is no wall in the attic to prevent the hot garage air from spreading to the rest of the attic, but again the ceiling of the entire living quarters is well insulated.

I have closed all the registers (to experiment) except the one in the master, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. The master register does blow cold air well.
    I've even placed cardboard(I'm sure the neighbors just love it!) in the master bedroom window. It helps quite a bit, but still nowhere near the rest of the house temp.
    One problem I know is that my windows are crap. I can fix that later. Cardboard will be a temporary fix. heh

I have ventilated soffets on the eaves of the house and only one small gable vent on each side of the house.

I'm guessing that if I put in at least one attic fan on the southern facing roof near the ridge line it can only help, but.....

Would adding a pass through register above the bedroom door help to equalize/improve air flow from the bedroom. Again I have vaulted ceiling in the bedroom, so I'm assuming a lot of that hot air won't sink(because hot air doesn't) to go through the door(which is usually left closed)???

Any other suggestions??????

Thanks.
    Last edited by elliottdp; 03-01-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Another thought

Default Re: HELP! MSTR BEDroom is always too hot!

standard things to check and the worst energy loss items

Attic access -is it insulated and tight not just some batting between the stairs or if not staires is the push up door covered.

Duct leaks- check for them they will add up a little leak here and there can rob your system.

The insulation in the attic looks good but what about the walls

The windows- have them tinted and or heavy curtains.

The return air vent -the door should be under cut to allow air to get back into the unit if not cut it about an inch.Also check the return duct work at the opening in the attic make sure the system is sealed -with mastic paint not just duct tape.

The supply vent to the bedroom- is it blowing enough you said you closed all the other vents but is all the air getting into the room chack the duct work again.

The Air handle has more than one speed- have the fan checked for hi speed in cooling mode.

Check the unit for temp drop return to supply 15 to 18 degrees rise.

this will get you going at least this week end.
    the pictures are an attic door that is insulated from the builder standard practice just batting and the other one is an AC unit that has a duct connection leak that was thought to not be to bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	summer before attic tent.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR_0612.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	798  

Silly question from me: Where is the thermostat located? The reason I say this is if it is a cold place (or shaded) it will keep the heat on until it reaches the tempeture it is set for. I agree with the curtian thing covering the windows and the cardboard.Aand your right-heat does rise. But, it sounds to me that you have a circulation problem. You don't need to either heat or cool your attic space as long as you allow FLOW OF AIR IN AND OUT. The insulations sounds adequate. Good luck. Process of elimination.

Someone needs to come in an evaluate what the potential problems may be. (A professional). It could be sizing, air distribution, thermostat location, etc. You may just not have the system balanced to address the additional cooling requirements of the master suite.

Someone can come in and provide you an overview of the entire system and you may find that there is a relatively simply solution to the problem.

Be careful in shutting down regisers. This will replicate a restriction in the system and can at the very least cause problems in cooling other areas. Worst case scenario; you spit out a compressor.

All the best, Irishmist