+ Reply to Thread

Default can anyone estimate the age of this Tappan stove?

I came across this stove on the front porch of a house. It's an older Tappan gas stove. Can anyone tell me how old they think it might be? Sorry the picture is a little blurry....it was the best I could do with it not being fully daylight outside this morning.

peace,
    Sophie

Default Re: can anyone estimate the age of this Tappan stove?

SWAG = early-ish '50s. Or might even be late-ish '40s.

My mother has one VERY similar that still resides down in the basement at the farm. Hasn't been used in many years, but back around '67 - '68....down to that basement stove is where she sent me to cook the pheasants and rabbits I drug home on Sundays afternoons. Used to do homemade french-fries on it also about then. Yum.

Will ask her if she remembers when they bought it.

Edit: Got me curious and found this. http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/

Didn't look for yours. It's bedtime.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 03-01-2008 at 12:53 AM.

Ahhh...so if your guess is right, then it is not as old as I was hoping. I plan to stop by there this morning on my way out of town to go work on my house. I will ask if they are wanting to get rid of it and then maybe get some better pictures, see if I can find model number, and dates, etc.

I looked at the link, which I've seen before. There is only one Tappan stove on there with the promise of more to come.

Thanks ****hiller.
    Last edited by SophieC; 03-01-2008 at 09:27 AM. Reason: .
    peace,
    Sophie

OK....so I stopped by to check out this stove yesterday. I decided to pass on it. It had quite a bit of rust on all the important parts. In addition to that, I was hoping that it had a griddle between the burners and it didn't. The handles, which were there, but broken off, were plastic. The lady said they would part with it for $75. I informed her that I would do some research on it to see if I could find available parts for it. I told her if she didn't hear back from me in a couple of weeks, I was going to pass on it. I wrote down the numbers that we got off the plate, but Goggle gave me nothing. I was just curious to see if I could find out how old it was. I guess it was best, what I really want is a Chambers.
    peace,
    Sophie

Sophie,

Take it from me, get a Chambers. If you're on a budget and reasonably handy you can find one on Craigslist and restore it yourself. Parts, advice, and manuals are readily available on the Internet in PDF form if you search around a bit. I'm working on my second one (detailed top to bottom redo); the first one is in near constant use in our kitchen. I'm a serious cook and baker, and I looooooooove my Chambers!