+ Reply to Thread

Default paint over caulking

Hi! I'm new here. Anyways, here goes my problem:

I recently added crown moulding to my house. The employee at Home Depot I went to suggested I use caulking instead of spakling for the gaps. I followed her advise and picked up a tube she suggested. It turned out I can't paint over the caulking now no matter what kind of paint or primer I use.They kinda shrink into beads after a while. The caulking I realize now is clear Silicon. On two rooms, I sc****d the caulking away and was able to paint the moulding. There were still spots where the paint did not adhere but not as bad.

Now, can anybody suggest a primer I can use? Better yet, is there a product I can buy so I will have an easier time scraping away the caulking?

I really need help. I have four more rooms to go and my fingers are bleeding already. The Silicon caulking is so hard to sc**** away.

Default Re: paint over caulking

Hi Bob,

Sounds like you're not having much fun at the moment.

But you've learned two important lessons: 1- You can't rely on advice from employess at a big-box and 2- Silicone caulk is not paintable.

The advice to use caulk instead of spackle or similar for this application was sound though.

Unfortunately, silicone caulk is indeed is a bear to remove...and I guess that's the third lesson.

3M makes a silicone caulk remover that you'll likely find near the caulks at the store. Sometimes it works pretty well, sometimes not so much.....or as much as one would like.

Unfortunately, nothing likes to stick to silicone caulk and that includes more silicone caulk. All of it has to be removed.....but then you already know that. Wish I had a magic answer/resolution, but I don't.

A fella who used to frequent these boards once suggested rubbing some talc (or similar compound) into the silicone caulk after softening it with the 3M product.... claiming that would cause it to ball up and remove kinda like eraser crumbs. Haven't tried that yet so can't say one way or the other.

One thing I can tell ya is that a paintable acrylic latex caulk will serve you well when you're rid of the silicone. If using latex paint, I usually apply the paint as soon as the caulk is well skinned over. An hour maybe. And I will tell ya that I have had less than stellar results with Poly-Seam-Seal latex caulk. It seems to lose its adhesion after a year or so........while maintaining its cohesiveness. Bottom line, it'll pull away and leave a gap when the wood changes dimension.

Also, don't be alarmed or confused by arylic latex caulks that state they are "siliconized". That's not the same thing as a silicone caulk. They state that they are paintable........and they are. However, when choosing a caulk from the offerings.......avoid latex siliconized caulks that are specifically for bathtub, shower or sink applications which state they are "high gloss". The high gloss aspect can prevent paint from sticking as well as it should.

Would loan you my magic wand.......if I had one.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-28-2008 at 10:33 PM.

I have had some success applying paintable caulk over silicone residue. It's not the best solution but may be worth a try.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Both ****ie and Jacks advice is sound. The only thing I'll add is that I've found that using a white rubber dog chew toy is the bee's knees for removing silicone caulk off a surface. I've used this method to get that nasty silicone garbage off the side of a house that someone used to caulk siding seams and trim with. It works much like an eraser does, by rubbing/rolling the silicone off. There will still be a bit of a residue that will permanently be there, no amount of nasty, harmful, caustic, chemical remover will change that, however, the "big" stuff will be gone, and a latex caulk can be used to refill any gaps and cover any remnant of silicone with good success.

The important thing with any caulk is that it be suitable for the intended application. If you are going to paint, then read the side of the tube, it will tell you if it's paintable or not. The next important thing is to NOT look to big box employees for advice about your needs or project, 99% of them are only there to stock shelves and pick up a pay check, very few have any real world experience with the products they're charged with. If you want sound painting advice, turn to the experts here or go to a name brand paint store such as Kelly Moore or Sherwin Williams, or one of the others.

Regarding getting advice:
    Whether it is home renovation, yard care, or even questions at work, I always ask at least 3 different people the same question. If I hear the same answer more than once, I will take that information and work it into a new question. Lather.Rinse.Repeat.
    When I finally start hearing the same answer from at least 3 people, I figure I've got a good answer.
    And then there's always google...

The only other suggestion I can make is to find a tool I recently discovered. It is called a Caulk Refinishing Tool Kit, made by Homax. I found it at Ace Hardware and is two tools in one; one for removing caulk and the other for applying it.
    When applying a new bead, you can only take the bead a couple of feet before the excess builds up on the back of the tool and you will need to wipe it off the tool before continuing the job. Of course, you should not have any old caulk hanging loose or this will only leave buggars in the finish. Good luck.

[QUOTE=Mike Byers;16527]The only other suggestion I can make is to find a tool I recently discovered. It is called a Caulk Refinishing Tool Kit, made by Homax. I found it at Ace Hardware and is two tools in one; one for removing caulk and the other for applying it.
    When applying a new bead, you can only take the bead a couple of feet before the excess builds up on the back of the tool and you will need to wipe it off the tool before continuing the job. Of course, you should not have any old caulk hanging loose or this will only leave buggars in the finish. Good luck.