+ Reply to Thread

Question Furniture Staining

I am finishing a grandfather clock. Without thinking, I coated the clock with wood sealer BEFORE I stained it. Now the stain will not take, no matter how much I sand, or rub with steel wool. How can I remove the sealer so that I can open the pores of the wood and get an even coat of stain?

Smile Re: Furniture Staining

I think your best course of action would be to use a paint stripper. Preferably the strongest paint and stain stripper you can find and wait until you can do the stripping outdoors. Still though be careful and wear rubber gloves and a mask especially if it is a windy day. Eye protection wouldn't be a bad idea either. Depending on how much sealer is in the wood you may or may not have to do two coats of stripper. Doing anything else to get rid of the sealer I think would be a waste of time and might do irrepairable harm to your project. When you have finished stripping the wood clean it with tsp that you can buy at the hardware store and then sand your wood. Good luck

Smile Re: Furniture Staining

Quote Originally Posted by hedgeclippers View Post
    I think your best course of action would be to use a paint stripper. Preferably the strongest paint and stain stripper you can find and wait until you can do the stripping outdoors. Still though be careful and wear rubber gloves and a mask especially if it is a windy day. Eye protection wouldn't be a bad idea either. Depending on how much sealer is in the wood you may or may not have to do two coats of stripper. Doing anything else to get rid of the sealer I think would be a waste of time and might do irrepairable harm to your project. When you have finished stripping the wood clean it with tsp that you can buy at the hardware store and then sand your wood. Good luck
    Thank you, sir. I will either use stripper, or take it to a commercial furniture stripper.