+ Reply to Thread

Question Low voltage lights with a mind of their own

I recently installed a series of low voltage lights on a set of dimmer switches. There are eighteen MR 16 lamped fixtures with each having their own transformer and they are switched with four dimmer switches. One switch operates 6 lights and 3 switches operates four lights each. They are all wired in series back to the dimmer switch. My problem is with the three sets of 4 light fixtures. Each set has one light that will go off for a few minutes then come back on. This is happening to the same light in each set of four. What could my problem be????

John

Default Re: Low voltage lights with a mind of their own

Quote Originally Posted by njarkitek View Post
    They are all wired in series back to the dimmer switch.
    John
    Series or parallel wired ?

John,All recess lights must have a thermal cutouts that opens up when the light over heats. This is a safety feature to keep them from burning anything that is to close to the light. One example is the paper on insulation. If it is in a insulated ceiling I hope you used recess lights that are rated for direct contact with insulation. It should be marked on the recess housing as IC rated. The IC rated housings are typically in a square box that covers the whole lighting can. Do you have insulation packed tightly around the housings? Is it near a low part of the ceiling or closed in are that can let heat build up? Or you have the wrong size lamp installed. The Maximum rated buld wattage and bulb typ is found on the inside of the housing I suggest checking that also.I bet one of the three is the issue.... let me know good luck
    Last edited by Ravens53; 02-27-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Thank for the advice, but unfortunately it is none of what you mentioned. The lights are installed in a basement ceiling and the ceiling itself is a perf metal ceiling so there is lots of air circulating to them. I think it has something to to either with the wiring or the dimmer switch. I have not pulled the ceiling down yet to see if it is the first light in the series or the last in that run. Do you have any other ideas??? The are a RSA fixture if your familiar with them.

If it is one light that are on the same switch as others. It has to be the thermal overload. Or it is s florescent light that you can not use dimmers. Let us know