+ Reply to Thread

Question What's wrong with this picture?

March 2008 This Old House Magazine page 93. Can you tell me what is wrong with this Advertisement by Rich O'Neal, painting contractor? LOL

I see three major issues.

Default Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Hmmmmm...........lessee..........
    First- drop cloth. I would be highly peeved to have a 'pro' spatter paint all over my brickwork - same thing with the door, especially with an unsecured can of paint sitting there drying out on the ladder shelf..
    Second- do I detect a lack of tape and paper on the window above the door?
    Third- I don't know about everyone else, but I always do the main body of the painting first, and do the trim last.
    Fourth- If I prime, I prime it all so I have a nice clean blank canvas.
    Fifth- Who slopped the paint onto the eaves, or will those be painted too? And why paint part of the frame around the window and stop?
    Sixth- That boy is gonna be sore tomorrow! No need to contort yourself like that.
    And last but not least, I would not have loose leaves and other crap laying around near where I'm going to be laying down a coat of paint. One little breeze......

Or am I just too anal about my work?

Keep in mind that this was an advertisement, the photo would have been staged. (I've not seen the ad, don't get the magazine )You don't likely see a sloppy paint can, paint coated ladder, or paint laden clothing. Is his truck in view? Most painters I've seen have more paint on their clothes and vehicle than they've ever applied to a wall. Sure, there are painters with clean vehicles and clean clothes, and I'm making no disparaging comments to those that don't, just pointing out that an advertisement isn't always true to real world situations.

This wasn't exactly an ad, if it was, I'm sure the ad exec would have either been a relative or fired. It's an unstaged shot of a 'pro' at work. I'm sure he cringes everytime he looks at it.
    It shows a man on a ladder hunched, twisted and reaching, while painting exterior door trim. He's painting directly from an open pail of paint that's teetering on the ladder shelf, while his tiny canvas drop cloth is wadded up underneath part of the ladder, protecting maybe 4 square feet of brickwork. The rest of the brick looks like it hasn't been swept off in months. And don't even get me started on the paint job...

Spruce, In 40 years of paint contracting, I always kept my trucks washed and clean of paint splatters. I always felt it was a comment upon my work. Further, I allowed my workers to charge clean overalls to the company account. They too are a statement of my work. They were required to wear a clean white T-shirt or shirt.
    Many times over the years I would ask the customer where they had gotten my name. The answer was often that they had noticed my trucks for years! The trucks were also neatly painted with full sized signs. It was one of the best forms of advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Spruce, In 40 years of paint contracting, I always kept my trucks washed and clean of paint splatters. I always felt it was a comment upon my work. Further, I allowed my workers to charge clean overalls to the company account. They too are a statement of my work. They were required to wear a clean white T-shirt or shirt.
    Many times over the years I would ask the customer where they had gotten my name. The answer was often that they had noticed my trucks for years! The trucks were also neatly painted with full sized signs. It was one of the best forms of advertisement.
    True that! A contractor, especially a painter that doesn't respect his own property, equipment, tools and person (clean) certainly won't respect your property and do a clean professional job! Inside work clothes/boots versus outside clothes/boots also an indicator (who wants yuck tracked in their home?).

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    I agree with you 100% and you would be a contractor that I'd hire from the looks of your truck alone. I absolutely agree that you can tell a lot about a contractor - ANY contractor - by the looks of their vehicle and their employees. "Books are judged by their covers", and I made it a point to hire subcontractors that reflected my own philosophy of workmanship and cleanliness, as a matter of fact, it was a prerequisite. We each carve out our own reputation. Mine is of excellence and cleanliness, and it is imperative that those who worked for me have the same respect for themselves and their equipment. This is not to say that accident's don't happen or that messes aren't made, but the wise tradesman keeps their equipment and surroundings clean and in repair.

Oh………….. I better straighten out my office then…….. It’s a mess!