+ Reply to Thread

Thread: smokey walls

Thumbs down smokey walls

We purchased a home where 3 smokers lived. we are re-painting entire interior. what should we use to clean walls?

Angry Re: smokey walls

Quote Originally Posted by mame/rob View Post
    We purchased a home where 3 smokers lived. we are re-painting entire interior. what should we use to clean walls?
    its a 1500 sq. so looking for most best way to get rid of smell.

Default Re: smokey walls

I had a rental........... A non smoking rental............ GRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I washed the walls, ceilings, everything with TSP a couple of times and then put two coats of Kilz on everything before painting and putting it on the market.

Default Re: smokey walls

I've gotta say ....use the TSP first.......or Dirtex will work well also. (Don't forget to rinse also)

If the walls/ceilings are textured, then I'd sugggest you use one of those car wash mitts instead of a sponge...which will get chewed to bits in a hurry on a textured wall.

Don't know if you'll also need a primer or not. Depends. Impossible to say from here. It won't hurt to use one.

But I do know that if you try to use a latex paint over the nicotine residue without washing first........it will likely bleed out into your paint. That because the residue is water soluable.

If you wanna play it real safe, I'd say use the TSP (and rinse).....and then prime with either Kilz or Bin, then paint...but make certain that your primer is well dried before applying the topcoat paint.