+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Basement Flooded B/c Of Clogged Window Well

Hi all,

I have a window well with a hole. This hole which I don't believe drains anywhere. Reason why I say this is b/c I can put a stick 4 in beyond the black plastic pipe and noted mug. I was able to put a 6 foot pole down it and all i get is mug. I had Roto Rooter to come by and they did not fix it and it cost me 239 dollars for 40 minutes of work- WHAT A RIP OFF!!! They claim a pipe must be collapsed. I don't think there is a drainage connection. I have 3 other window well and there is no hole/drainage for water. My gutter has ice that is melting into the well. I don't think just preventing the ice from melting will work. After I use a shop vac to suction out the water from the hole - water come back up the hole- I spoke to a excuvation company and stated a french drain system might help- i already have one but it could be bad. I installed a sump pump not knowing the cause was the window well was the cost. I demo the dry wall and I am 100% positive its the problem. I thought of doing a dry well? from the hole- but the excuvation company stated that if i have clay in the ground it would not work- I do have clay- any thoughts to fix this problem without spending thousands!! thank you

Unregistered don't work Guest

Default Re: Basement Flooded B/c Of Clogged Window Well

I got a question what is this MUG in your pipe?

First you gotta determine the existance and function of your drain tile system.

Default Re: Basement Flooded B/c Of Clogged Window Well

Quote Originally Posted by Roulay View Post
    Hi all,

I have a window well with a hole. This hole which I don't believe drains anywhere. Reason why I say this is b/c I can put a stick 4 in beyond the black plastic pipe and noted mug. I was able to put a 6 foot pole down it and all i get is mug. I had Roto Rooter to come by and they did not fix it and it cost me 239 dollars for 40 minutes of work- WHAT A RIP OFF!!! They claim a pipe must be collapsed. I don't think there is a drainage connection. I have 3 other window well and there is no hole/drainage for water. My gutter has ice that is melting into the well. I don't think just preventing the ice from melting will work. After I use a shop vac to suction out the water from the hole - water come back up the hole- I spoke to a excuvation company and stated a french drain system might help- i already have one but it could be bad. I installed a sump pump not knowing the cause was the window well was the cost. I demo the dry wall and I am 100% positive its the problem. I thought of doing a dry well? from the hole- but the excuvation company stated that if i have clay in the ground it would not work- I do have clay- any thoughts to fix this problem without spending thousands!! thank you
    Do you know if you have a weeping tile around the inside, AND outside of your house? If there is a tile around the inside of the foundation, it might be wise to dig under the window well, get to the bottom of the foundation, burrow under the foundation, and hook it to an inside sump pump, providing there is a weeping system around the foundation.

I saw this very same thing done on a "Holmes on Homes" program one day. They dug down deep under the window, installed good drainage rock, so the water would migrate to the outside tile line. After hooking up to the inside sump pump, there was no water problem. Looks like your clay ground is so hard, the water has no place to seep. If you have some time, you should be able to dig this by hand, or rent a small backhoe to dig the hole, saving lots of bucks. Just be sure you do not hook the discharge from the sump pump, to your septic system, because it only overloads it. Find a good outside source to run the seeping water.

If the water continues to rise in the pipe, that indicates something is plugged, or the weeping line is not hooked to any pump. Sounds like lots of ground water pressure is forcing water back into your pipe. Break a small hole in the basement concrete to see if something is plugged.

Best of luck.