+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clogged Drain

Default Clogged Drain

i have asked this question to thia old house with no answer maybe someone could help.
    my kitchen sink has a very bad clog i have tried plungging,snaking,and even useing several drin decloggers like
    liquid plummer and 3 other kinds with no luck.
    i just can not get the drain to drain i may have to pull the pipes and put in new i am looking for some help on what to do.

Default Re: Clogged Drain

You said you snaked the drain, was the snake long enough to go all the way to the soil stack? Have you checked the drain between the sink and the trap?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

yes it was a snake that i rented at the neighborhood hardware store
    that should have been long enuogh to reach the down to the soil stack i guess.and yes i have check the drain between the sink and trap. i was given an idea by a friend to ckeck to see if the
    breather stack was not clogged could this stop up a drain aswell?
    Last edited by edwingarcia; 02-28-2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: forgot to put in snake

Typically a blocked vent would show a slow drain since there is no air behind water and not a backing up drain.
    It 's possible the blockage may be further down the line from the sink.

A "breather stack" is called a vent and that will not cause the clog entirely. It will cause a slow drain however. You might also have a build up of stuff in the line from over the years. A snake is going to be the best way to fix the line. Get a 50' snake and go for it. When it hits the clog or the point where the water is having a hard time draining you will feel it. Good luck. Process of elimination.

You need to make sure to use the right size cable when you service a drain. Too small an the cable can turn back up the line and kink up. Too big and you could break some pipe and or some fittings. 60+ feet of cable is commonly necessary to clear a drain. Try to flush as you cable you will improve your success. Lok at the cable when you retrieve it and try to identify the blockage. Black and oily/slimy is normal so any thing other than that it unusual. Mud is always BAD.

thank all for the help but i could not get it to drain so i went into the celling from the basement to look at the pipe i just cut
    it from the elbow so that i could see what might be blocking the drain and found that thier was a peice of rusty pipe along with the years of grease that had the drain clogged anyway pipe has been replace and the drain runs free.