+ Reply to Thread

Default electric housings & insulation

I want to install more insulation in the attic, but realize the various electric housings are of several ages (since 1973) and some may be unsafe to cover. In all humility, folks, where do I look on the housings for ceiling lights and fans etc, what information am I looking for, or how do I otherwise tell if I can bury these dudes in insulation without courting disaster? Thanks, best, M.

Default Re: electric housings & insulation

There should be a sticker inside the fixtures.You will have to remove the trims and look inside.IC means insulation contact,non-IC means,well figure it out You may need to build boxes around non-IC fixtures in the attic to separate them from the insulation.

I agree with the above answer,,,

Yup, junction boxes that don't require access to them, IE boxes for surface mount light fixtures accessed from below can be buried in insulation.

IC rated recessed light fixtures can be buried as well.

Keep in mind though that non IC type recessed light fixtures need 3" of space from insulation and no insulation may be installed above them to meet national electrical code requirements. 2008, article 410.16

Keep in mind though that non IC type recessed light fixtures need 3" of space from insulation and no insulation may be installed above them to meet national electrical code requirements. 2008, article 410.16
    ..... because of this and they are located in an attic space ... in my opinion they should be changed out for IC rated fixtures. Otherwise you small chimneys leaking into the attic.

Thank you all so much. best, M

I agree with above comments. I would also like to add that some manufacturers require a 6" space between a non-Ic rated can and insulation. Follow the manufacturers instructions.