+ Reply to Thread

Default tilting sidewalks

My darling home has a sidewalk running from the city sidewalk back along the house and drive almost the length of the lot to the garage/shop in back. Almost the entire thing is now tilting toward the house. To complicate matters, the sidewalk is cleverly installed over the underground utility lines so no one accidently digs them up. If I had my 'druthers, I'd druther have a walkway of porous pavers, but I fear breaking out the sidewalk would damage the utility lines. Any ideas on leveling the sidewalk without disturbing the utilities? Thanks everso, M.

Default Re: tilting sidewalks

I think that the utility lines are pretty tough themselves. As lng as you didn't take a jack hammer or a demolition saw to the utility lines that they would be able to withstand the removeal of the sidewalk. This would allow you to put in your paver stones with a nice bed of sand to prevent the titling or uneveness. Utility lines are underneath city streets with traffic. Usally the only time they are broken is with a large piece of machinery. Good luck. Process of elimination.

I am a bit confused. I was under the impression one was not to dig where the utility lines run. Wouldn't one need to use a substantial piece of machinery to move large chunks of broken concrete? And trench for the sand bed? Thank you, M.

People and the people who work for the companies(myself) do it all the time. You have to use a thing I call "Common Sence-Safety Thinking" (my own personal philosphy). And what alot of people who have a littl money and alot of patiences and muscle it to break up the large concrete chunks into smaller concrete chunks. Put them in a wheeelbarrow and move somewhere else. This is the differnce between hiring a day laborer to break it up and move it. And then hiring concrete man (or mason) to come out and prep and pour. A sidewalks thickness is usally only 4" in most places. Now, you are still just talking about a sidewalk form the street to the house right?

The "trench for the bed" is two different things. One is a trench, let's say to lay pipe in (like the utilities). And a bed is a larger, flater surface area that will get let's say 2"- 4" of sand spread around.

Thank you. Yes, the sidewalk is narrow and runs beside the house, not in front of it between the yard and verge. I am concerned because I live with a disabling illness and cannot do the heavy work myself. I believe I could lay the pavers. I would love to have the concrete broken into useable rubble for the base of garden walls. I am thinking if I do have the sidewalk broken out, I will simply have to be extremely careful in my selection of workers. From watching Roger Cook and his team laying in a brick patio, I think the depth of prepared bed was considerably thicker than you've mentioned: I was thinking I'd need at least 4" compacted sand on top of a well-prepared (level and compact) bed. Thank you. best, M.

What you need to do is call a day labor comapany (we call them rent a bums, not nice, I know) but, they will bring out a 1 or 3 guys who will do all the hard work for you. you have to think of yourself as a general contractor or a manager. not to hard like joesph stalin and not to easy like mother theresa, in the middle like a stephen jobs. get the hard work out of the way.

I had a single car drive way and i laid pavers next to the driveway to keep from stepping in mud when i got out of the car. 2 pavers wide on one side and 3 pavers wide on the other. I would say my sand bed was 3-5 deep throughout. Firm and allow the water to drain. Good luck. Proccess of elimination.

Thank you very much. best, M