+ Reply to Thread

Default Will my pipes freeze after adding insulation?

Hello,

A year ago I moved into my new-to-me house and quickly discovered there was no insulation in the floors. I have added reflectix in the floors and around the ducts running through the crawl space.

I say crawl space but honestly its almost like a basement because it is about 5' high. I started insulating the plumbing but ran out of insulation. I figured that since its pretty much a basement, and the earth temp is naturally about 50 degrees, it wouldnt get cold enough tofreeze the pipes.

Now its averaging about 35 in the day and in the 20s at night. The temps have been dipping down to about 45 in the crawl space. If it gets colder will the temps get cold enough in the crawl to cause the pipes to freeze?

Default Re: Will my pipes freeze after adding insulation?

Quote Originally Posted by huberm View Post
    Hello,

A year ago I moved into my new-to-me house and quickly discovered there was no insulation in the floors. I have added reflectix in the floors and around the ducts running through the crawl space.

I say crawl space but honestly its almost like a basement because it is about 5' high. I started insulating the plumbing but ran out of insulation. I figured that since its pretty much a basement, and the earth temp is naturally about 50 degrees, it wouldnt get cold enough tofreeze the pipes.

Now its averaging about 35 in the day and in the 20s at night. The temps have been dipping down to about 45 in the crawl space. If it gets colder will the temps get cold enough in the crawl to cause the pipes to freeze?
    A bit of confusion ------- the ground temperature would depend on how deep the frost line is for your area.
    For example --- the frost line can be 6 feet deep around here which means the ground temperature is at or below freezing ( 32 F ).

Based on your temperatures if it gets any colder then you may have issues.
    Although, if the crawlspace is drafty this may be more of an issue than the ambient temps. Cold drafts on water pipes are one of the main causes of freeze ups.
    Perhaps you might consider insulating the walls of the crawl space and sealing any penetrations which would help keeping the temperature in the crawl space at a reasonable level.

This not only helps keeping the pipes from freezing but will also helps keeping the floors above warmer.

2 cents worth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush