+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: High Electric Bill/Questions

I just found out they intalled a 3.5 ton (that is what is says on the paperwork, the company is double checking records) and it was suppose to be a 2.5. My house is only 1,710 Sq Ft. I don't know anything about a/c but when we were getting quotes all the companies said a 2.5. If this is the case would this cause the problems i have been having?

Thanks Again for the advice..

They just called and it is a 3.5 ton unit. They are suppose to come to my house at 3:00.

If the size of the unit could be causing the problems should i just tell them i want the 2.5 (since that is what was supposed to be installed). I am just not sure what to do. This is my first time owning a home and i know nothing about all this stuff. Thank goodness there's sites like this for us.

Thanks so much for all the advice so far.

If it's not a Heat Pump , then the size of the unit isn't the problem . You say you have electric heat , right ?

i was wrong it is suppose to be a 3.5 ton. the tech just left and it doesn't have a heat pump.

Hummm......... Learn something new every day. I did not know electric furnaces were figured by tonage.

If there is no heat pump then there must be a coil and one big feed going to the funace.

Can you post back the size of the feed in amps that the furnace draws? If you are all electric can you post how many kilowat hours you used in your last billing period, how long that period was and what you paid?

I just can't imagine not using a heat pump in that type of climate.

Tamayra... I left you a private message with my phone number to call me I have a vast knowledge of heating systems and I am a master electrician call me maybe I can help troubleshoot your problem

Raven, i have your number will call tomorrow.