+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Red face High Electric Bill/Questions

We just had a carrier seer 15 central ac/heating installed in November 07. I live in houston, texas if that makes any difference. Our house is 1710 SF

Our electric bill last month was almost $500.00. The unit is off during the day as we both work but when we are home we have to run the heater at 78 just to keep the house warm. It is always colder in the house than it is outside. It hasn't seemed to be right since it was installed. I have had the company that installed the unit out quite a few times and they say everything is fine.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Also is there a way to check and make sure the thermostat is working correctly?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: High Electric Bill/Questions

Keeping the temperature at 78 seems rather excessive. That could certainly lead to extremely high electric bills, although Isn't the outside air temp in Houston like in the mid 60's usually at this time of year?

Does it actually get to 78 in your house? and is the system actually blowing hot air when it should be? It's pretty easy to check if a thermostat is working properly, just get another thermometer, and compare the temp the thermostat says to the temp the thermometer says. Then if the temperature is more than a few degrees lower than what you have it set for, check and make sure its blowing hot air.

There is hot air coming out, although in 2 rooms it doesn't feel like it. it is either to hot or to cold, it is never comfortable.
    We are constantly changing the thermostat.

Yes it is in the 60's around this time.

Thanks!

Are you sure you don't have any cold air leaks?

I wouldn't recommend keeping your thermostat that high if you're trying to save on bills. It will run you just as much money for the system to work really hard to bring your house up to the preferred temp in the evenings.

We run 5-10 degrees cooler than you and we've adjusted to the thermostat staying at 68 during the day and dropping to 65 at night. Since I'm home with my youngest son and the dog all day, we've adjusted to the cooler temps and we're getting used to wearing more clothes. I have seen some savings in the bill. We down from $400, to $225 for our natural gas and from $200 to $96 in the electricity to force the air into the house.

I also have zones that just don't heat up as much, and zones that are way too warm. My office/craft area has a southern facing rock wall that absorbs heat and radiates it into the house when we get a lot of sun. It's great when I can't seem to get warm. My sons' bedrooms are West facing so they stay warmer too. My bedroom is in the middle of the house, no windows and it's a lot cooler because of the addition of a "spa" room which has a separate wall heater in it. We keep the thermostat really low out there.

We just keep our bedroom door closed because to try to allow the thermostat to feel the cooler air in there would be hard on the heating system. We also circulate the warmer air in areas where it is warmer with ceiling fans running in the clockwise direction, running really slow.

I think I read somewhere that for every degree over 70-72 you try to heat your house, you should expect to spend about 4% more on your bill. That's not a lot until you add it up day afterday at 24-36% more.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Our house is all electric. And the 2 bedrooms we don't use i have the vents shut off.

I just think something is wrong with the system or the thermostat. we also had new insulation put in in dec 07. And i am caulking around windows, etc. to see if that helps. Before we got this new system our bill was usually around $ 200.00 and we never had to run the heater 78, we usually had it around 70, and it was a 20 year old unit. This new one is suppose to be very energy efficient, but if nothing is wrong then i guess i should have kept the old one.

Something is wrong for sure.

I've never seen this happen yet.........but it almost sounds like something is cross-wired/mis-wired....so that the AC could be running at the same time that you're trying to heat the house. This could/would explain why you can't get the house warm/uniformly warm and why your electric bills are so high. Running an AC compressor eats lotsa juice.

Should be easy to determine if this might be happening; go outside and see if the AC unit is running.

Or...it's possible that you have a situation like a few that I've encountered over the years. Someone will run a new electric line, but neglect to remove the old one or even disconnect it from the service box. The bare ends of those carelessly abandoned lines were found sticking in the ground outside.....drawing current 24/7/365....leaving the HOs with super-high electric bills. The wetter the ground, the faster the meter whirled. Dang miracle that their kids didn't get electrocuted while playing outside. One of those lines we found had been there for 5+ years.

What I have learned is to expect the unexpected. Assume nothing. Start from square-one and proceed from there.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-21-2008 at 11:36 AM.

I'm gonna add that if your HVAC folks can't find the problem....and/or deny that there is one....then it's time to contact Carrier directly. Tell them what the situation is (as regards their high-efficiency system causing your electric bills to more than double overnight.) They likely send a rep out promptly to look things over and find the problem(s).