+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation installing molding on walls with Rounded corners

what is the proper way to install base molding on walls that are rounded at doorways and closet entrances. I just bought my first house. it was built in the 50's and has plaster walls. the house has hardwood floors and no base molding, not even shoe or quarter round! the corners of the walls are square, but it is rounded in the doorways. I'm not sure how to install the molding correctly in this scenario. I guessing you cut the molding at the same angle as the curve??? also the is a rounded metal plate running vertically along every entrance way at the rounded corners? any ideas???
    Thank you,
    Drew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walls.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	775  

Default Re: installing molding on walls with Rounded corners

You can buy molded corners for quite a number of trim profiles these days.

Check with a door and molding specialty dealer (i.e. not a big box store), they usually have a nice selection. If you can't find a suitable profile, then you can segment the trim around the corner - that is, use multiple pieces cut to a wedge shape to make the curve more tightly.

This is a picture of crown, but it still shows what a segmented corner looks like.

Yes, i have seen those but they are to big for the application i believe, i'm going to try and post a picture hereClick image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1300.jpg 
Views:	1006 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	777 this is a picture of the old molding that was here when we bought the place, obviously not the correct way to do it. the corners look rought because they are. the previous owners must have never taken care of the house. because everything was dinged and scratched up, I will be fixing it as soon as i figure out the right way to do the molding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walls.jpg 
Views:	1503 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	778

If you are going to paint the trim, you can also get flexible trim or PVC trim and heat it with a heat gun to bend it around the corner.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'm sorry I didn't finsh my reply before i posted. I don't know if i could make a segmented corner because all the rounded corners are in the doorways ( see pic). the actual corners of the rooms where the walls meet are square, however all the entrance ways are rounded

JC... sounds right.. but can i heat it/ bend it around the corner and then stop for the door frame? you think it would work? i gotta try and find some of that to test it out

Using a heat gun you can pretty well control where it is going to bend. the rest will stay straight. You can get PVC trim and lumber at most big box stores.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'm going to suggest you either create corner blocks that match the circumfrence of the corners by hand or cut angled pieces then sand down the corners to match the corner.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Red face Re: installing molding on walls with Rounded corners

Okay, please forgive me, but being an artist, I tend to think outside of the box - as in 'what box?'.
    If the heating and bending thing doesn't work for you, may I suggest some creativity?
    Using a length of scrap baseboard, give it a light coating of oil, and pour some plaster of paris over it, creating a mold. Then go to www.avesstudio.com or any other place that sells a moldable epoxy, and mix up a batch to press into your mold. While it's still flexible, pull it out of the mold, and wrap it around your curves.
    If you do it right (and it's not tough - you have about 2 hours before it sets fully), you can snug it up to your baseboard and using a little more epoxy mix, feather the edges until you can't tell where the board stops and the epoxy begins.
    This stuff is great! Fully sculptable, sandable and paintable, and temperature will not affect it, indoors or out.
    I have used it to recreate the base for my wrought iron stair rail, painted it when I painted the railing, and it's been through 2 Wisconsin winters. You cannot tell it's not the original base, except it's not rusting, while the other one is.
    Sorry - my creativity just had to peek out...

my husband made the same suggestion Odd Artist. He uses the stuff to recreate lost ornaments on frames and fill in gouge marks when he needs to **** leaf the frame.
    Debby in Oklahoma