+ Reply to Thread

Default Hidden shelf hardware

I would like to hang a couple of narrow shelfs on the wall next to our TV with hardware that is not seen once the shelf is on the wall. I am not having much luck finding this type of "invisible" hardware. Any suggestions on websites where they can be ordered ******?

Thanks,

themig

Default Re: Hidden shelf hardware

I have done this twice. The shelving was plain but straight 1x6 or 1x8 pine boards. The mounting hardware was 3/8" diameter round steel rod from my local hardware store.

The rod was cut into sections about 5" long with a hacksaw and then smoothed with a mill file. The trick is to find a way to bore 3/8" holes into the edge of the boards on stud center lines using horizontal lines on the wall with the stud centers marked.
    If you have or can borrow a drill press, you should be able to build a fence to hold your shelf boards true for edge drilling.

Next you need to drill holes on your line, square and level, into each stud. You will want the holes in the wall to be probably 2" to 2 1/2" deep. The holes in the shelf need to be deep enough to hold the rest of the rod. Give yourself a little margin in the overall depth of the holes.

Now you should be able to use the rod sections to "float" the shelf board on the wall.

As a caution, you should exactly locate the stud positions first and use their center locations to determine the spacing to use for edge boring since wall studs are not necessarily spaced exactly.

This method produces a much thinner shelf profile than the box method that other people seem to use. The first time that I used this idea it was to make a wall of shelves on which I stored several thousand paperbacks and perhaps a hundred larger hardbound books. The thinner profile meant that I could get more shelves than with other methods.

Alan

Default Re: Hidden shelf hardware

Most floating shelves are a box attatched to a board which is bolted to the wall.

Basically, you cut a hollow core door in half. find a board that will fit in the hollow part or remove an edge piece. Bolt that to the wall then glue and screw the door to it.

I just used hollow core bifold doors in my crafting room to to the same thing. I didn't take one side off, I used pocket screw technology to secure them to the wall at the studs.

Debby in Oklahoma