+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ratchet

Default Ratchet

Anyone ever see a ratchet type device for running nuts down a long bolt, where the exposed threads past the nut?

Here's the issue. I've got bolts of varying lengths that need to be secured by a nut. Some of the bolts have as little as 1" of thread protruding past the nut, some bolts have several inches of threads exposed past the the nut. Currently I'm running the nuts down by hand to remove the slack, then use a ratchet wrench (think box end wrench where the box ratchets) to draw them down tight. I'd like to either find a socket that can accept up to 6" OR a cordless drill driven ratchet wrench as described above.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, as right now I'm running an average of 30 to 40 bolts at a time, several times a week, a power actuated device would considerably cut labor and time.

Default Re: Ratchet

Yes, it is called an "open ended box wrench" and you can get ones that wratchet as well. This is so you don't have to keep taking it off and repositioning it on the nut to tighten/loosen. Automotive store always have these type wrenches, but I have seen HVAC/Plumbing supply stores carry them as well. Make sure you get the right size obviously (metric vs. standard). Good luck. Process of elimination.

Sprucey,

I have this....as well as ratcheting box ends. This ratchet will accept infinite length of bolt, but note.........only up to 7/16" bolt/thread diameter.

I don't reach for it all that often, but when I need it.......it's really handy.

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=8130

IIRC........they made a bigger one, too. Would take a bigger bolt. I *think* this may be it...but can't wait for the download to complete. An on dial-up tonight cause the broadband wireless is having some problems. (Really heavy snow here right now) So....you'll have to take a look for yourself, I guess.

http://www.o-ratchet.com/26%20pc%20product.htm
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-26-2008 at 12:32 AM.

If all I needed was a few turns, then that "through put" socket wrench would do the trick, as does the ratchet box end wrench I currently use. I'm really looking for a deep well socket that can handle up to a 5 or 6" depth so that a cordless drill can be used to run the nuts for the length of the "slack" thread, then switch to the ratchet box end to put the final torque to it.

I'm installing plywood over windows with 2x4 strongbacks. The thickness of the wall varies depending on exterior coating, trim, and interior window sills. Because of this varied thickness, the length of bolt ranges from 10" to 12", hence the need for a socket or similar style driver with the ability to run a nut down 5" to 6" of slack thread. Each structure requires 30 to 40 bolts, which is why a power driven device would be nice.

We often build pipe racks or cable tray racks supported by all-thread and need to run the nuts out at various lengths. What we do is weld a socket to one end of a steel pipe and weld a hole saw arbor to the other end. If you don't have a welder I don't think you would spend much having one made up at a welding shop.

Sprucey ..... when I had to change the gas tank on my truck I needed an extra deep socket which I was fortunate to be able to borrow from a buddy.

It was a Snap-on like this http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

but it only has 4 1/4 inch inside depth.

Or .... if you are using bolts could you use T-nuts and drive the bolts ?

http://www.stafast.com/products/tnuts.html

Yep ... just like Kent suggested ... I've seen guys take cheap sockets ... cutting the drive end off one and weld them together for extra depth.
    Last edited by canuk; 02-26-2008 at 08:56 AM.

Sprucey,

Okay, gotcha now.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any sources for ready-to-rock sockets that deep......but if I was facing your task.......I'd want one, too.

I've been looking for something like canuk has suggested, but I think I like Kent's suggestion better. I've got access to welders and I can cut the head off a socket, which will ultimately be cheaper than the $50 that Snap-On wants for their socket. Great idea Kent.

ASC, now if that power driver had a "through put" head like the wrenches suggested earlier, that would be the ticket! It's nice and small and would fit in the tool belt. I wonder how long the battery would last.

Thanks for the great ideas and help guys, I knew I could count on you. BTW, where's that Jack? With all those posts of his, you'd have thought he'd have been right in here helping out.

Is this coming close to what you are looking for?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93791

I swear I have seen something that looks like an impact wrench with a "chain" on it to pull around nuts to tighten them but it would still require some space to work in.

Valve sockets could work but then they need to have a drive socket welded to them to make them power driven.
    Last edited by debbysewn; 02-26-2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: adding link
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    Is this coming close to what you are looking for?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93791
    Nope! Already use one of those to tighten the nuts down, only mine doesn't have that fancy articulating head.

Space isn't an issue.What I need is more along the lines of what Canuk suggested (deep socket ) and exactly what kent suggested (modified socket welded to pipe ). The beauty of kents suggestion is that I can make exactly what I need, and I've already figured that out, the only detail is how long to make the critter.