+ Reply to Thread

Default Plastered floors that need to go

I just bought a house and the old owners plastered the kitchen floor with roughly 2 inches of plaster. Underneath it is concrete but I am trying to figure out how to remove the plaster from the floor any ideas?

Default Re: Plastered floors that need to go

I have never heard of that?So I have no idea what to tell you.

My first question to you is why?

There's a reason the plaster is there - it may be there to level a settled or cover over a crumbling/cracked/deteriorated floor slab. Are you prepared to replace the entire concrete slab if needed?

Secondly, while it's tempting to use a powered jackhammer, if I were to do it I would do it entirely by hand to avoid damaging the underlying concrete slab. A 4" cold chisel and hammer is probably the way to go. Once the majority of the plaster is removed grind the concrete (if it's in good condition) to removed any final traces of the plaster and get a perfectly flat floor.

Are you sure this isn't gypcrete containing a radiant floor heat installation?

If so, it shoulda been covered with ceramic tile, stone or similar, but maybe they just didn't get around to that. Heck, the piping/tubing could be in there and they may not have even hooked it up either. If that's the case, you wouldn't feel any heat in the floor when you turn the thermostat up.

If you have any doubts whatsoever about how to determine if this might be the case, I'd suggest you call a heating pro for a quick look/see to determine if there is tubing/piping (PEX most likely)inside this mystery "plaster" floor before you go tearing it up.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-26-2008 at 11:36 AM.