+ Reply to Thread

Default Re-staining our cedar deck

We have a cedar deck that we stained using a water-based Behr stain of a natural color. About 3 months after staining we power-washed the deck and it somehow washed some of the stain from the boards. Along with the washing, the dogs have worn down the stain on the deck also.

How do we go about re-staining our deck and what type of stain works best on an outdoor cedar deck in Texas?

Smile Re: Re-staining our cedar deck

Cedar is a soft wood, traffic, sun, weather will wear off most stain quickly. "weeks"..Sun the biggest problem. Suggest you contact a paint store such as Sherwin Williams. Use a stain remover. Then use a transparent sealer. You can recoat as needed with out a lot of color build up. Do not expect anything to give more that one year of moderate service. Due to Texas sun, heat, and CEDAR. I was in deck business many years and this is hard learned advice. Next time CEMENT, Pressure treated, in that order for my homes.

Default Re: Re-staining our cedar deck

Quote Originally Posted by Tincan View Post
    Cedar is a soft wood, traffic, sun, weather will wear off most stain quickly. "weeks"..Sun the biggest problem. Suggest you contact a paint store such as Sherwin Williams. Use a stain remover. Then use a transparent sealer. You can recoat as needed with out a lot of color build up. Do not expect anything to give more that one year of moderate service. Due to Texas sun, heat, and CEDAR. I was in deck business many years and this is hard learned advice. Next time CEMENT, Pressure treated, in that order for my homes.
    Is it possible to put cement on wood just like paint ?
    I have no experience but there are so many new producs so maybe its possible.
    If I remember right .... there is kind of technique to glue cement on wood.
    Correct me if that's a bad idea.You can also check here soft corals and here trem arm
    Last edited by diamondblast; 09-28-2008 at 05:04 AM.