+ Reply to Thread

Default Pex tubing expansion/slide crimp tool MFGR?

Just saw the show on PEX tubing and two types of crimp tools were shown. One that crimps the rings and one that expands the tubing and then slips the ring over the tubing/fitting. I have searched and only the crimp style seems to be avail? Can anyone give me the mfgr of the expansion/slide tool?

Default Re: Pex tubing expansion/slide crimp tool MFGR?

UPONOR or WIRSBO There was a change in the product name brand change. This style expands the tube and ring. REHAU expands the tube and then has a second function that presses a brass band over the tube.

Uponor tool is about $350 USD.
    REHAU tool is about 450 USD.

brian,

Yes......Wirsbo/Upunor *hand expander* tool is probably around $350 to the public at large/retail (includes 1", 3/4" & 1/2" heads). But......the battery operated Wirsbo expander is WAY more money. Like $1600 or so.....retail, IIRC. They also make a pneumatic tool which falls kinda in the middle of that price range. A small compressor would drive it. (pancake or hotdog)

You can sometimes find a good deal on used stuff on E-Bay. Buyer beware though....as always. All the heads may not be there or the tool may be worn out.

For my money......Wirsbo/Upunor is the way to go....around here anyway. It's what all the plumbing supply houses carry and so pipe, fittings and such are readily available and always will be. And I think it's the favored system around most of the country. Time proven and no expensive brass fittings or rings/sleeves to buy for simple potable water supplies.

Always remember that when you buy a tool like this......you're best off to buy what is locally available because when you need parts, you need them right now. The big boxes are very economically fickle. Any given brand of any type tool at a big box may be here today and gone tomorrrow...if they can make a penny more profit per unit by switching to brand X. And who wants to pay shipping charges when you don't have to.

The Renau brass sleeves & fittings cost money that adds up fast..........and the cheap Sioux stuff found at many big boxes these days is.......well, let's just say.....unreliable quality and performance.

I don't recommend that anyone buy a tool simply because it was shown on a TV show. Those shows get paid by the tool company to showcase those particular tools. It can be very misleading.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-24-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Call the a plumbing supply house. The reason: they are the source for the pros. They sell the material, the sell the tools, they sell service. If you have never before been to your local plumbing supply store and you like hardware and tools and stuff, you will enjoy it. The supply is not going to sell crap. They can't afford to. And the prices aren't that bad either. I don't know about these crimpers that cost over $400, but for 1/2" and 3/4 " each of those cost $100. And the 1" cost $200. This is the style where the ring is compresed over the PEx with the PEX fitting inside. Good Luck. Process of Elimination.

You need to know what is approved for your area. If you have a local controlling authority then they may not approve some fastening method or material.
    For instance my area has only approved Wirsbo/Uponor and Rehau. Not just the fittings but the tubing as well. Heard about a plumber that ran a whole house, 3 baths and such using HD crimp method, and Mr. Inspector red tagged him said "Not Approved" call us back when you fix it . PSSSSSSSSSSSSS what a burn. He could have saved himself alot of aggrivation with a simple FREE phone call.

Thumbs up Re: Pex tubing expansion/slide crimp tool MFGR?

Hi to everyone I trying to get the Sliding Tool For Pex Pipe but everything go to the same place wirsbo/uponor then you have to buy 2 tools,recenly I found this video in you tube is in spanish but just watch the video to the end en you will see a nice tool 2 in one the only problem is this tool is made in Spain,you can them see it in the pdf catalog from the tools website
    the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBej2...eature=related

here the pdf
    http://www.saneper.com/datos/catalog...ivo__166_1.pdf

also I found the manufacturer of other simmilar tool but is china and they are just whole sales.
    here the manufacturer website

http://plasticpipe.en.alibaba.com/gr..._Fittings.html

If someone get something like this I will like to know thanks