+ Reply to Thread

Default (pics) Is this asbestos, or something else?

Thanks for looking.

The below photos are from the area of the basement where, up until recently, sat an oil burning furnace that was originally installed as a coal burning unit. The house was built in the '30's (Montreal), and my mother, the current owner, has owned the building since the '70's. The material was already in went she bought the house.

Whether it is or is not asbestos, please supply a little bit of background info, if you can (i.e. I have seen that before, I am a spe******t, etc). Thanks so much! More pics available if needed.

Default Re: (pics) Is this asbestos, or something else?

It certainly looks like it could be. I would have it tested. It looks friable & if it is asbestos it should be abated asap.

To be safe, of course, we had enlisted the services of a company that will come and take samples and produce a detailed report; they arrive tomorrow, and I will post an update.

If it has not been said before, the company that does the testing only does that, do they not do the removing (as obviously it would always be in their interest to take care of the removal as well.).

Default Update.

Update: yes, it was asbestos, in sufficient concentration to warrant it's removal (a detailed report was produced, just dont have it in front of me at the moment).

Took a coupl of days to remove the material by a spcialized company.

Hope this helps.

just to make sure there is no conflict I would reccommend that the testing lab has no affiliation with the abatement company.