+ Reply to Thread

Default Load Bearing Wall?

I have two small bedrooms next to each other and would like to remove the wall between them and make one large bedroom with maybe an attached bath. How do you know if a wall is load bearing?

Thanks

Default Re: Load Bearing Wall?

There are other considerations, but two fairly good indicators are 1]if there is a wall directly above the one you want to remove and/or 2]If there is a wall or support beam directly below the one you want to remove, then it is most likely a load bearing wall.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have the same question, but I have a ranch style on a cement slab. Vaulted ceilings.
    If I am able to climb up above the wall, would I be able to tell from the ceiling/roof joists?

As a general rule if the wall is running in the same direction as the ceiling joists it's not a bearing wall. If you have the same trusses all the way through the lenght of the house and the wall is only though part of the lenght and the ceiling joists are one piece running across the house there's a chance it is not a bearing wall. I should point out in this area, all the ranch style houses I have been in there is a center wall that runs the full lenght of the house that is a bearing wall. When in doubt have a professional take a look.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-27-2008 at 09:04 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb