+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Mission Style Wainscoting on sheetrock

I am new to this site. I have project that I have researched extensively and have found limited answers. I have pretty good carpentry skills but have never tackled the scope of the project that I have on tap.

I have a living room with a 16 ft cathedral ceiling. On the high wall that soars up to 16 ft is a where I pal on doing the project. I pal not do mission style wainscoting right to the sheetrock walls- there will be no breadboard, just white sheetrock.. Although he house is only 14 yrs old, the framing on the wall was horrible and I had to make some radical adjustments to get it acceptably flat in anticipation of ace[ting for the wainscoting frames / styles system.

I basically want to run a rail and style system right over the sheetrock. I plan on using ¾ pine around 16 inches on center (although I am sure I won’t be lucky enough to catch any studs since that would depend on the layout.) I want the rails to be about 4 feet apart with the styles at around 16 inch intervals. I will be building on the wall as I go,

My question is this; since I will be nailing the rails at 16 inches intervals and the styles can fit snugly in between, do I need some type of plate joiner or can I glue and nail.

As I said, I plan on painting and caulking any obvious opening but I am concerned about shrinkage in the ¾ inch pine.[/SIZE]

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Mission Style Wainscoting on sheetrock

you can glue with liqued nails paneling glue. and nail. and you can also preassemble the stiles and rails using pocket hole screws.

gary katz has a great video he just came out with that shows how to do this entire project correctly.

check it out.
    http://www.garymkatz.com/publications_dvds.html
    Last edited by kreg mcmahon; 02-23-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added

I agree with Kreg. You can just glue and nail.

What you are proposing sounds awesome. I've been thinking about doing something similar only I need to cover some texture so I'm going to use mdf as a backer.
    Debby in Oklahoma

I love the pocket hole screw system. Here's a panel wall I am currently finishing up, put to geather wiyh Pocket screws.

Just have to finish building the doors.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Some pretty good ideas. This site also has some good wainscoting ideas.