+ Reply to Thread

Default Broken pipe in wall

Can anyone help me with ways and hints to locate a broken pipe from freeze damage in a wall? There is no attic space and I was on the road while the freeze occurred and did not discover the pipe broke until 3-4 weeks after the damage. There is an area of water damage (peeling paint, damaged sheetrock) that goes most of the length of the wall. I considered obtaining a stethoscope and turning the water on to locate/pinpoint where I should be cutting out the possible area. The little converted garage apartment has been recently updated in its interior so I would like to minimize any destruction/construction in the repair? Thank you.

Default Re: Broken pipe in wall

Infrared thermography will find it. The images are in a gym the roof leader is leaking behind the wall- the visual shows the round clean out cover bottom middle and the Infrared shows blue area that is wet under the block wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cms olympic hs1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Olympic HS 2006 (24)a.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	757  

You are going to have to replce the drywall anyway. So go ahead and start pulling away the sheetrock you are going to replace. By doing this you are "opening up the wall" to see what is inside. You do not want to leave drywall that has gotten wet and wet again because of the Mold Factor. Mold is the new Asbestous- you don't realize the danger of it until 50 years later.

So go and open up the wall and then turn on the water, just not full tilt. This is an outside wall you said. Did you put any insulation in the walls for tempeture? And then did you put any "armor flex" around the pipes themselves? It does sound that you have an isolation valve for just that apartment (lucky for that). Good luck. Process of Elimination.

Thank you misfitter. I do not know what I am getting into because all the conversion from garage to apartment was completed when I bought the property. And, it was not done with permits but the building was grandfathered in. I truly appreciate your suggestions and was hoping there may be another easier avenue to take. Thank you.

I also thank you Infraredsurvey.com. Unfortunately, probably the price of the "x-ray" to pinpoint where the damage is on the pipe would, ultimately, replace the entire wall. It is a very small garage apartment. Again, thank you for your input.