+ Reply to Thread

Default CAD for carpenters

I'm looking for simple CAD software appropriate for basic framing and carpentry. Please respond if you have found something like this.

Default Re: CAD for carpenters

Check out Google Sketch-up. I've seen a number of guys using it. It is supposed to be pretty easy to learn and use.
    http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the response. I checked out "Sketch Up" and it seemed like it was designed primarily for 3_D modeling of buildings. I'm looking for something that will help me with two dimensional layouts for furniture and structural framing. Is Sketch Up" be the right choice for that ? Or should I be looking for something else ? john f

I don't have any experience with Sketch-up, I thought it had the ability to go between 2d and 3d drawings.

The only other program that I've tried was too many years ago to suggest. I found it too cumbersome to use, though I find most cad programs way too cumbersome.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have found it is one thing to be able to do some simple room lay out and furniture plans with a simple program like three-dee home architect but quite another to do any very serious design or manipulation.

I had Auto CAD and even hired an in house CAD whiz to do drawings for me. Even then it took him hours and hours and days and days to set the program up for our project specific jobs.

I ended up going out to an engineer and in the long run it was cheaper.

Gentlemen: Thank you for replying.***** It appears that I did not explain my intentions clearly. I do not want to do home layouts. I am looking for software to help me design furniture and cabinets, etc - the individual components such as framing, fastener locations, miter angles, etc. I want to prepare assembly drawings.***** At the moment I am dealing with an issue now of how to cutout panels from a sheet of plywood with minimum waste. Seems like CAD would help there. Regards: john f

Ohhhhhhhhhhh............

Maybe check this thread out.

http://www.contractorspub.com/showthread.php?t=4078

From Contractors Pub

Thanks for the link NEC. Looks like I'm going to have to purchase and learn AutoCAD of some sort. There does not appear to be any freebies out there.