+ Reply to Thread

Smile Becoming a licensed electrician

Hello,

I'm wondering if someone may know how I can become a licensed electrician in the state of New Jersey? I'm trying to investigate career alternatives.

Thanks,
    Rich

Default Re: Becoming a licensed electrician

You might try asking your question at this link. Although we do not allow DIY questions we will answer questions such as yours. There are several active members from NJ there. I would post under the "licensing" heading.

http://www.electricalknowledge.com/forum/default.asp

rabbitgun.

So you want to become a sparky ... eh? Good stuff.

I'm not familiar as to what the requirement is in your area.... here a person would enroll in a trade school where you learn the theory and practical aspects of electrical principals. You will be using science , math , even some law (Ohms law , Kirchoff's law , etc. ) ... just kidding ... for the theory.

Once you successfully completed the schooling you would enter an apprentice program of 4 years with being employed with an electrical contractor or utility company. In those 4 years there would be returning classes at a school for the different levels of apprenticeship.
    Once completing the 4 years as an apprentice you would write a test for your journeyman license.... where you will be wealthy beyond your wildest dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    So you want to become a sparky ... eh? Good stuff.

.... where you will be wealthy beyond your wildest dreams.

................Right.................

Hey,

I just went through some licensing threads at EKR and found this thread with some good links. Both members Celtic and Mahlere who posted in the thread are NJ electrical contractors.

http://www.electricalknowledge.com/f...?TOPIC_ID=3214

rabbitgun

Thumbs up Re: Becoming a licensed electrician

Excellent! Thank you all very much. I'll read though the posts and check with the building department in town hall for any additional information.

Rich

Coda24 ... good luck

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Coda24 ... good luck
    ditto !!!!

The requirements vary wherever you go and the license you get will only cover the area that the licensing entity covers so you'll have to check locally for a complete answer. Down here in SC I don't think there is much of a requirement for field experience(certainly not a four year apprenticeship!)though I feel there should be. Even if it's not required in your area, you'll learn far more by doing the actual work for awhile and asking questions than you can get from a book. That will let you know for certain that this is what you really want to do with your career.

There is NO substitute for hands-on, in-the-field-as-it-really-is-out-there experience in any building trade. Many school courses will leave you wondering if the instructors actually had any real-world themselves when you get out here. It's better to get that experience before venturing into a business than to plan on acquiring it while you're trying to get a business off the ground. Doing it this way, any mistakes you may make while learning are covered by someone else's wallet and not your own. And you'll also learn what tools are essential and which ones you can get by without. Construction trades are replete with numerous expensive tools that may never pay for themselves unless you're specializing in only the areas they are used in.

MC