+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Too much snow

Default Too much snow

How will all of this snow affect my lawn? Some parts are wet and muddy, while others seem patchy and "burned" by the snow. Are there any good ways to prep the grounds for the harsh weather before it snows? I'd like to know for next year...

Smile Re: Too much snow

Quote Originally Posted by TOHROCKS View Post
    How will all of this snow affect my lawn? Some parts are wet and muddy, while others seem patchy and "burned" by the snow. Are there any good ways to prep the grounds for the harsh weather before it snows? I'd like to know for next year...
    Hi,

Just a few hints. Be sure your lawn has a nice balanced fertilizer applied before fall, so the grass roots are able to build up strength going into winter. If grass roots are strong and healthy,and deeper, they are more able to withstand harsh winter climates.

Don't mow too short in the fall, so there is some cover for the snow to catch. I live in Minnesota, so we always have lots of snow. I have never lost a lawn to heavy snow, only small circular areas where moles crawled under the snow.

In the spring, just after the snow melts, and with the ground still frozen, you might try spreading lawn seed over the bare areas. Yes, I have even done it with a light covering of snow left. As the ground freezes in the fall, the top opens, creating small crevices where the new seed will settle. The grass seed will not germinate until it gets to a certain temperature, so do not worry about it. That is what you call "dormant seeding". My dad taught me that trick, many, many years ago. Seeding early, if possible, will prevent any compaction of your lawn. I see far too many people working in their lawns much too early.

If you have uneven areas in your lawn, you might want to wait until the surface is dry, then level it, add some good compost to those areas, mixing it into the surface soil. We are lucky enough to have a great compost facility close to us, so we can get pickup loads free of charge, anytime we need some. Great for flowerbeds, too.

Once you have a healthy lawn, it will take more than just heavy snow to kill it.

Good luck with your lawn.