+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Stoves

Red face Pellet Stoves

I just finished watching a show on a Pellet Stove installation with Richard T. and am interested in a link where I can get more information the Pellet stove. The installation seemed pretty standard and I have a home that was originally a train station in Bigelow mn. Built around 1929 and has a gas furnace just replaced last year. but I am interested in putting in secondary heat and the pellet stove seems to be a good option. I am not ready to purchase yet just getting information. btw I love the show and hope that it keeps going for years to come
    Thank you for your Kind Considerations,
    Sincerely,
    Troy A Connor SrHidden Content

Default Re: Pellet Stoves

This article provides more information and sources

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...566753,00.html
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantroy View Post
    I just finished watching a show on a Pellet Stove installation with Richard T. and am interested in a link where I can get more information the Pellet stove. The installation seemed pretty standard and I have a home that was originally a train station in Bigelow mn. Built around 1929 and has a gas furnace just replaced last year. but I am interested in putting in secondary heat and the pellet stove seems to be a good option. I am not ready to purchase yet just getting information. btw I love the show and hope that it keeps going for years to come
    Lowes Stores in central Pa just had a massive spring clearance sale on those units. I wish I would have known. I too am looking into them. The reason for the sale was, "Well the air conditioners are arriving".

We are also looking into these Pellet stoves. Non of the big box stores have them here (mid west) nor have they heard about them but I've been told that a local farm store now has them so I'm going to go look. Our main reason for getting one is our power company really stinks and we loose power about 3 times a winter on average and 2 times in the summer. We are finishing our basement and trying to decided how to work it in the setting.

To find more information I did a yahoo search for wood pellet stoves and found a few manufactures then looked for dealers in my area. *** there are a lot of styles out there. Price is a little higher then expected but not out of the question.

Smile Re: Pellet Stoves

We purchased a classic 1200 quadrafire pellet stove and connected 12/07, and could not be any happier with its performance. This stove heats our two floors of a total of 1700 cubic feet. Just besure to burn pellets that are less than .05 ash content. Other wise you will have a lot of clinker material in the burn pot..We learnt this after a while with burning pellets that were .08 ash content. The less the ash content the hotter the stove will burn, and less cleaning there will be. We clean the burn pot out once a day, usually in the evening, so we have a good nights burn on this clean out. We tried to clean out the burn pot during the day and forget it, but its just needs a little attention. Very simple to operate and this stove holds 75lbs of pellet. Usually a 40lb bag of pellet last 24-30 hours..If its really cold like 10 degrees outside you could use a bag and a quarter..So for $6.oo for a ice cold day, not bad. With our furnace we would use 2 1/2 gallons of oil at $3.50 per gallon each day. So Im sure this stove will pay for itself in time to come..

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Lowes Stores in central Pa just had a massive spring clearance sale on those units. I wish I would have known. I too am looking into them. The reason for the sale was, "Well the air conditioners are arriving".
    Ernie....with you being in Shamokin, I can't believe you aren't looking at a coal stoker over a pellet stove. You are right in the middle of coal country and can get that great anthracite real cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    Ernie....with you being in Shamokin, I can't believe you aren't looking at a coal stoker over a pellet stove. You are right in the middle of coal country and can get that great anthracite real cheap.
    Thanks, I grew up loading the Antha-Flo stoker with a daily dose of rice coal. Boy, what a heat !!!!! You always had a toasty warm first floor with that unit in the cellar blazing away.
    Having said all that a ton is running around $125 delivered. Considering the closest breaker is less than a mile away, coal is still in the plans as well. Just exploring all options....

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-n-squeal View Post
    We are also looking into these Pellet stoves. Non of the big box stores have them here (mid west) nor have they heard about them but I've been told that a local farm store now has them so I'm going to go look. Our main reason for getting one is our power company really stinks and we loose power about 3 times a winter on average and 2 times in the summer. We are finishing our basement and trying to decided how to work it in the setting.

To find more information I did a yahoo search for wood pellet stoves and found a few manufactures then looked for dealers in my area. *** there are a lot of styles out there. Price is a little higher then expected but not out of the question.
    One thing to remember is if the electric is off the pellet stove doesn't work because the feed auger is electric.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-24-2008 at 07:36 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Thanks, I grew up loading the Antha-Flo stoker with a daily dose of rice coal. Boy, what a heat !!!!! You always had a toasty warm first floor with that unit in the cellar blazing away.
    Having said all that a ton is running around $125 delivered. Considering the closest breaker is less than a mile away, coal is still in the plans as well. Just exploring all options....
    We have a hand fed Harmon burning nut coal. I figure I can hand load for another 15 years or so and then I'll go to a stoker. I like your prices! We pay about $185 / first ton delivered and $165 for any additional tonnage. I usually get two ton at a time, but I'm going to start getting 4 or 5 at a time. Prices had been steady for many years, but they have been going up the last two years. I'll burn about two ton this year along with some wood. When I get lazy or sore or tired or sick I let the propane furnace handle the heat.

Some things to think about in your comparison...I think the btu / lb for coal is about twice what you get from pellets (rough number from memory). Also, you need to keep the pellets dry when they're stored, coal doesn't care about getting wet.

One thing to remember is if the electric is off the pellet stove doesn't work because the feed auger is electric.

That's what those bicycle generators are for.