+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Knob & Tube Wiring

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Canuk may not be to bright but he's absolutely correct.
    Jack
    I too go along with what Canuk has penned. As far as a few posts ahead of his, well they are entitled to their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Anderson View Post

If you're desperate for a ground wire in a particular location, it's sometimes easier to run one from the nearest water pipe or radiator rather that tear open walls and/or shell out the cash to completely re-wire a house.

I agree with you Ernie, everyone is entitled to their opinion. but the quote above is very unsafe and does not meet grounding requirements of the NEC. A grounded receptacle offers an alternate path back to the neutral not a path to the "dirt" or "ground". You would be more safe in doing nothing than doing what was suggested above. (With all due respect to Eric it is misinformation.)

As mentioned before me K&T can not come into contact with insulation. Another good reason to get rid of it and figure out ways to make an old home more energy efficient.

Not to mention, if someone does a repair and replaces part of the piping below the connection with plastic you have to possibility of making you pluming hot throughout the house.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Jack .... thanks ... I think
    I guess I was just corrupted by "L".
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Not to mention, if someone does a repair and replaces part of the piping below the connection with plastic you have to possibility of making you pluming hot throughout the house.
    Jack
    Inspectors in central Pa require one piece of copper from the load center to weaver clamps on the water meter, no matter what the length. {Because of that very reason you mentioned, someone replacing a damaged copper supply line with a piece of say CPVC.** Odds are it may never happen, but sooner or later is surely will.
    I do not believe K&T should ever come into contact with insulation, either.

I'm about to interview electricians as my insurance company says disconnect the K&T or pay higher premium.
    What are the right questions to ask besides licensing,insurance and references? Should they have workers comp as well as general liabilty and how much is enough? All advice welcome and needed.

Smile Re: Knob & Tube Wiring

I agree fully on the issue of electrical dangers due to improper modifications over the years by those without the know-how or tools, but that's just as big a risk with BX, NM, or any cables installed 40, 50, 60 or enough years ago that lots of people have lived in a house and had plenty chance to monkey around with the wiring for various reasons.

Being the stickler that I am (forgive me guys), I have to say it's pretty unlikely that even ancient insulation would fall off inside a wall cavity unless it was tampered with, and even if it did fall off, knob and tube wiring is separated from structural materials by insulating knobs and tubes, and from other wires by a couple of inches typically. Even if bare wire did rub up against wooden framing or plaster, those are also insulators, so I can't even imagine an arc occuring, not at a mere 120V anyway, unless a hot wire fell right up against neutral or a pipe somehow, maybe if a mouse sat on it or something, in which case a fuse of any rating would blow anyway.

Typical wall or ceiling thermal insulation of any type, fiberglass batts, foam, loose cellulose, etc, could be placed around any type of wiring safely because those materials are electrical insulators too. If over-rated fuses are causing wires to get so hot that you're worried about wall insulation causing heat "build up", those wires are already far too hot for safe operation even without insulation in the walls. Homeowners need to properly fuse or breaker wiring, not avoid insulation in order to keep wires cool. And, replacing ALL of the wires in the house, while good for keeping tradesmen employed, is not necessarily good for the homeowner's wallet or historic preservation of the structure when correct fuses/breakers, addition of new lines just where needed, and minor repairs could solve all major safety and convenience issues. Best wishes, ~Eric

Just to clarify:
    2008 National Electrical Code

Article 394 Concealed Knob-and-Tube Wiring

394.12 Uses Not Permitted.

(5) Hollow spaces of walls, ceilings, and attics where such spaces are insulated by loose, rolled or foamed-in-place insulating material that envelops the conductors.

Quote Originally Posted by tanlaw2006 View Post
    I'm about to interview electricians as my insurance company says disconnect the K&T or pay higher premium.
    What are the right questions to ask besides licensing,insurance and references? Should they have workers comp as well as general liability and how much is enough? All advice welcome and needed.

Around here if a contractor doesn't have worker's comp then he has to have a waiver. Be sure to ask for all insurance certificates and make sure they are current, you can ask to keep a copy.

Since you've been instructed by your insurance company to have the work done, you should ask them what they're requirements for contractors are as well to cover the gaps in your policy.
    Debby in Oklahoma

I agree completely with canuk's post on this topic.

To state that he is "not too bright" is WAY off base for someone who has demonstrated time and again his expertise on a wide diversity of topics over the years.

Derogatory remarks of this sort have no place on the TOH Discussions site.

I feel honored to be the first to congratulate him as he reaches his 1000th post for this forum.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 03-12-2008 at 01:54 PM.