+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Knob & Tube Wiring

How dangerous is Knob & Tube Wiring to be left in a house? How does an electrician remove all old knob & tube wiring, in an existing lived in house?

Default Re: Knob & Tube Wiring

It is generally very old wiring, and the insulation is dried out and starting to crumble. It is dependent on air circulation around it for heat dissipation ,so you can't insulate.

Normally the electrician disconnects the wires from power, cuts some off but leaves most in place when rewiring.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It is generally very old wiring, and the insulation is dried out and starting to crumble. It is dependent on air circulation around it for heat dissipation ,so you can't insulate.

Normally the electrician disconnects the wires from power, cuts some off but leaves most in place when rewiring.
    Jack
    In central Pa, you will find houses having K & T wiring, and blown in insulation covering the wire. i just shake my head

it is not used anymore for safety and installation reasons. it caused fires. And there are better materials for instalatin now. When the electrician runs new wiring, and this is a must to meet code, you can salvage the old knobs and find other uses for them. it is a pretty cool piece of history of that house. Good luck. Proccess of elimination.

I just watched the east Boston project episode again. The master electrician there said they needed to replace that knob and tube wiring for insulation purposes. I'm guessing he wanted to meet some other requirements too, like code and energy efficiency. Looks like K&T is out for good reason.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    I just watched the east Boston project episode again. The master electrician there said they needed to replace that knob and tube wiring for insulation purposes. I'm guessing he wanted to meet some other requirements too, like code and energy efficiency. Looks like K&T is out for good reason.
    Lacking a proper ground path and air splices were the two main reasons that made K & T obsolete, would be my guess. And add in wire vastly undersized for todays needs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Lacking a proper ground path ...add in wire vastly undersized for todays needs as well.
    That would get my vote for replacement, not being grounded and not able to give me the power I needed.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Let us remember if the K & T was installed say back around 1920, to pick a year out of the air. Well what exactly did a then homeowner have to energize back then? A radio and a lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Let us remember if the K & T was installed say back around 1920, to pick a year out of the air. Well what exactly did a then homeowner have to energize back then? A radio and a lamp.

Good point.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    Good point.
    How did they survive?