+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Knob & Tube Wiring

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheShack View Post
    I agree completely with canuk's post on this topic.

To state that he is "not too bright" is WAY off base for someone who has demonstrated time and again his expertise on a wide diversity of topics over the years.

Derogatory remarks of this sort have no place on the TOH Discussions site.

I feel honored to be the first to congratulate him as he reaches his 1000th post for this forum.
    It was not meant as a derogatory remark (see the happy face) apparently you did not get the honor of being called less than bright, dumb, stupid, ignorant, etc and a few other choice names applied to Canuk, A.Spruce,****hiller, and myself by and infamous former member to remain unnamed. Relax JacktheShack, I like Canuk too even if he is from up there.

Congrats Canuk on 1000.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Anderson View Post
    Being the stickler that I am (forgive me guys), I have to say it's pretty unlikely that even ancient insulation would fall off inside a wall cavity unless it was tampered with, and even if it did fall off, knob and tube wiring is separated from structural materials by insulating knobs and tubes, and from other wires by a couple of inches typically. Even if bare wire did rub up against wooden framing or plaster, those are also insulators, so I can't even imagine an arc occuring, not at a mere 120V anyway, unless a hot wire fell right up against neutral or a pipe somehow, maybe if a mouse sat on it or something, in which case a fuse of any rating would blow anyway.

Typical wall or ceiling thermal insulation of any type, fiberglass batts, foam, loose cellulose, etc, could be placed around any type of wiring safely because those materials are electrical insulators too. Best wishes, ~Eric
    The old K&T wiring had insulation the would dry out and become very brittle, it would fall off due to vibration or touch. Blowing in insulation can cause it to fall off of large sections. If any moisture were to get into the wall cavity the wet insulation becomes conductive. As Kentvw points out, you are not permitted to insulate wall cavities with K&T wiring as per the NEC, period.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 03-12-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It was not meant as a derogatory remark (see the happy face) apparently you did not get the honor of being called less than bright, dumb, stupid, ignorant, etc and a few other choice names applied to Canuk, A.Spruce,****hiller, and myself by and infamous former member to remain unnamed. Relax JacktheShack, I like Canuk too even if he is from up there.

Congrats Canuk on 1000.
    Jack
    Around here, once you get around that millennial mark you can call each other all kinds of things because they've shared so many thoughts and ideas they're "friends", provided the poster isn't banned nor unregistered.

That's why I like these guys so much.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Just to clarify:
    2008 National Electrical Code

Article 394 – Concealed Knob-and-Tube Wiring

394.12 Uses Not Permitted.

(5) Hollow spaces of walls, ceilings, and attics where such spaces are insulated by loose, rolled or foamed-in-place insulating material that envelops the conductors.
    Thank you. I rest my case.

Yeah, that canuk fella don't know beans about the NEC.

The electrical site I moderate you get more stars under your name as your post count goes up and five stars when you hit 1000.

Since I'm a moderator my stars are red......... So nanner, nanner, nanner!

(Posted only to increase PCR.)

So tell me Mr. Kentvw, does that mean you're a commie?
    Jack

No, but I have the power to cut ‘em down with a sickle or beat ‘em with a hammer!

Truth be known about the only “moderating” I do is make spell’n corrections……… Electricians are notoriously bad spellers as a group.

JacktheShack .... you humble me with your kind words ...... I tip my hat to you sir.

JLM's comment was in fun ... besides you just have to consider the source .... just like the other riff raff around here.

..... and Kent what do you mean I don't no nothin about the NEC .... here's a pic of the celebrations going on for the 1000th post party. You'll notice the approved flotation devices for the power bar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!cid_006301c87766$cc1532d0$6701a8c0@MAIN1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	838  

No, but I have the power to cut ‘em down with a sickle or beat ‘em with a hammer!
    Commie sympathizer

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post

Truth be known about the only “moderating” I do is make spell’n corrections……… Electricians are notoriously bad spellers as a group.

You mean lectricians!
    Jack