+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: Knob & Tube Wiring

Nothing like doing a side job as a favor and when you show up the first thing you notice is the 60 amp meter base. And the favor is wiring for a 16000 BTU a.c.

.... and not a very pleasant surprise.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Nothing like doing a side job as a favor and when you show up the first thing you notice is the 60 amp meter base. And the favor is wiring for a 16000 BTU a.c.
    ..but the hvac guy said it would work ..

Quote Originally Posted by lmills148 View Post
    LOL ....
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Reminds me of the time that my sister asked me to do some wiring on a house that she and her husband were going to
    " flip " . She wanted to install an electric range , water heater , and electric central heat . I took her outside and showed her the 100 amp meter base . Sorry sis . Ain't gonna happen .

Quote Originally Posted by lmills148 View Post
    I worked in a house where a large a.c. was purchased from a Loews store. The salesman stated "don't worry this unit will fit into all windows, its never a problem". Well it was a problem.
    I still chuckle about that one.

Alot of good advise here. I just bought a house with K&T all through ouy. I originaly thought is was disconected, but my home inspector told me otherwise. It has a mixture of Romex and K&T. First things first to rewire. The first floor will be no big deal because it has a full basement, but Im trying to figure a way to run it upstairs with out damaging the plaster that was recently repaired. Any suggestions?
    And Myth Busters did test the toaster/hair dryer in the tub. Blew the breaker everytime, never producing a lethal shock. It was pretty cool..
    Last edited by mstone03; 06-24-2008 at 03:24 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by mstone03 View Post
    Alot of good advise here. I just bought a house with K&T all through ouy. I originaly thought is was disconected, but my home inspector told me otherwise. It has a mixture of Romex and K&T. First things first to rewire. The first floor will be no big deal because it has a full basement, but Im trying to figure a way to run it upstairs with out damaging the plaster that was recently repaired. Any suggestions?
    And Myth Busters did test the toaster/hair dryer in the tub. Blew the breaker everytime, never producing a lethal shock. It was pretty cool..
    I hope you never try and replicate that test in real life. Yes GFI breakers and outlets do work very well. But being a the triping part is a mechanical devise there is always a chance they will malfunction.

In getting wires to the second floor. I have always tried near cold or waist water plumbing pipe risers. I have also ran them in closets that are above each other and then boxed them in. Be careful not to disturb the old knob and tube wiring as when you touch it the old insulation crumbles of and that is what causes problems
    Harry

I recently replaced all the knob and tube wiring in my house. I found where the wiring went up through the walls from the basement and used the old wires to pull up new romex. I pulled up the necessary 2nd floor and attic floorboards to route the wiring to the overhead light locations. I'm not sure about other homes, but all the knobs, tubes and splices were in the floor joists, not the walls, making it really easy to pull the wires through the walls from the basement and to the switches. The only downside to my technique was that I disconected all the knob and tube wiring and we lived without overhead lights and some outlets for awhile until I had everything hooked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    I hope you never try and replicate that test in real life. Yes GFI breakers and outlets do work very well. But being a the triping part is a mechanical devise there is always a chance they will malfunction.

In getting wires to the second floor. I have always tried near cold or waist water plumbing pipe risers. I have also ran them in closets that are above each other and then boxed them in. Be careful not to disturb the old knob and tube wiring as when you touch it the old insulation crumbles of and that is what causes problems
    Was any of the mythbuster guys in the tub when they replicated that toaster trick?