+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Re: Knob & Tube Wiring

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    woodgreen,

I probably, well, no that's not right........ I am guilty of taking your thread off topic. So, lets get back on topic.

I'm kind of taking it that you can not afford the four grand?

There are quite a few of us here who would be happy to try and walk you through about any wiring issues you have with your house. Here's where I would start:

I don't know what kinds of codes are enforced where your at but I would go down to your local building dept. and explain your situation and what they are going to require regarding your KT upgrade.

To answer one of your questions; Yes, K&T is usually just abandoned and cut out where it's accessible but left abandoned in the walls.
    I agree...K&T is grandfathered into the NEC, just like all the other improvements.
    Could this be a new homeowners policy? Or is it just a renewal?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I agree...K&T is grandfathered into the NEC, just like all the other improvements.
    Could this be a new homeowners policy? Or is it just a renewal?
    Insurance companies are not bound by NEC allowances and do can do as they please. At one time they were talking of requiring electrical updates every 25 years or cancellation of insurance.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Insurance companies are not bound by NEC allowances and do can do as they please. At one time they were talking of requiring electrical updates every 25 years or cancellation of insurance.
    Jack
    They do damn well as the please, don't they !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    They do damn well as the please, don't they !!!!!
    They sure as heck do.
    This house I'm in had 60 amp fuse service when I bought the place .... no insurance until the service was upgraded to min. 100 amp .... they call the shots.

Default old post new poster

I'm looking for an avatar of someone beating a dead horse if anyone knows where I can find one.

I know its legal but load protecting a grounding recepticle with a gfi makes no sense to me when there is no EGC. I don't see the need for it unless its in a kitchen, bathroom etc. Why not just replace one nongrounding device for another, not to mention gfi s are almost $15.

406 (D)(3)(a) non grounding type recepticles shall be permitted to be replaced with non grounding type recepticles

My 2

Default Re: old post new poster

Quote Originally Posted by lmills148 View Post
    I'm looking for an avatar of someone beating a dead horse if anyone knows where I can find one.

I know its legal but load protecting a grounding recepticle with a gfi makes no sense to me when there is no EGC. I don't see the need for it unless its in a kitchen, bathroom etc. Why not just replace one nongrounding device for another, not to mention gfi s are almost $15.

406 (D)(3)(a) non grounding type recepticles shall be permitted to be replaced with non grounding type recepticles

My 2
    I have used GFI recepticals in knob and tube wiring to protect the homeowner. being no grounding conductor present it will pick up any imbalanced load or fault current and trip. I would use it at the first duplex with a result of protecting the wiring and people at all of the other outlets on the circuit. A GFI outlet does not use the ground to measure the fault current. It measures the current on the hot wire in comparision to the nuetral. If there is difference of more than 3 ma it trips. It was also a requirement for all old knob and tube wiring with the limits of Baltimore city Maryland. for 15 dollars you get a lot of protection.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    I have used GFI recepticals in knob and tube wiring to protect the homeowner. being no grounding conductor present it will pick up any imbalanced load or fault current and trip. I would use it at the first duplex with a result of protecting the wiring and people at all of the other outlets on the circuit. A GFI outlet does not use the ground to measure the fault current. It measures the current on the hot wire in comparision to the nuetral. If there is difference of more than 3 ma it trips. It was also a requirement for all old knob and tube wiring with the limits of Baltimore city Maryland. for 15 dollars you get a lot of protection.
    I don't disagree with you. But nusance tripping can be harmfull as well. I don't think gfi protecting "all" outlets is a good idea. or afci for that matter. I think these practices should be more selective.

Quote Originally Posted by lmills148 View Post
    I don't disagree with you. But nusance tripping can be harmfull as well. I don't think gfi protecting "all" outlets is a good idea. or afci for that matter. I think these practices should be more selective.
    I respect your opinion. When I did that job there were not AFCI breakers. That would have been a better solution
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    They sure as heck do.
    This house I'm in had 60 amp fuse service when I bought the place .... no insurance until the service was upgraded to min. 100 amp .... they call the shots.
    That is a common practice in central Pa with insurance companies. And one I agree with. Way to many 4 mains and range boxes still around in these parts....

And one I agree with. Way to many 4 mains and range boxes still around in these parts....
    ......... and certainly a point one couldn't argue with.
    Last edited by canuk; 05-24-2008 at 04:37 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush