+ Reply to Thread

Default Bath overfill drain not connected

So we recently purchased our first house this past summer, built in 2002. On night my wife was taking a bath in the upstairs bathroom, I was downstairs and heard dripping and saw a puddle on the kitchen floor directly under the bathroom. When I got upstairs I realized that she filled it a little too much and it was draining through the over fill drain, and that the overfill drain wasn't connected to anything. So we quickly drained it to a safe level and cleaned up the water on the kitchen floor. There is no easy way to access the drains to reconnect, so I'm looking to permanently plug it.

1. Does anyone know of a place that sells bath/shower switch cover that don't offer an overfill drain? Or is there another option?

2. Are the bath fixtures (faucet, temp control, switch cover) usually caulked to the fiberglass, mine aren't?

Default Re: Bath overfill drain not connected

I don't think you'll find a cover that doesn't have an overflow in it. What is on the other side of the wall in which the tub plumbing is located? It will most likely have to be accessed through that side of the wall.(unless it's an exterior wall.)
    You could remove the cover and put some type of stopper in the overflow hole but that wont look very good and not having an overflow isn't really advised. It sounds like the overflow pipe wasn't installed propperly. It really isn't a big fix some drywall repair and probably reattatching the overflow tube. Can you see anything when you take off teh cover that is there now? Does it have a lever in it or is it just a cover?

I can access the wall on the other side, its in the hallway, but the PO didn't leave us any paint for touchups. I haven't had to try to match to existing paint before so I'm not sure if its feasible (its a grayish color).

There is a lever for the drain stop in this location. I'm thinking of possibly plugging the overflow slot in the cover to prevent the leakage I described.

What really is the point of these overflow drains anyway? If the water is flowing in at 5 units and the overflow is taking care of 1 unit, then the tub will still overflow with the 4 units of filling, sure its slower than 5 units of filling, but not by much.

Any answers to question #2?

Have you heard of Typhoid Mary? And why now the tub fill valve needs to be a minimum of 2" above the flood rim of the tub? DO NOT PLUG UP THE OVERFLOW! I mean, you can if you want, but you really are not fixing the problem and you may choose to ignore it, but I really don't suggest it. If you just purchased the house, what about the 1 year house guarentee for anything major that is a serious building code violation? And as far as the matching the paint for an access panel, that will be the least of the problems if she fills the tub up again and it overflows- all the way from the second floor to the first floor, through the ceiling, out the bathroom, down the steps. You get the idea hopefully.

If you do decide to fix it you will need to cut an access panel to get to the overflow. If you do that right you will not need touch up paint. The lip of the access panel will cover the edge of the dry wall hole. The real problem is the tie in to the exsisting tub drain and cutting a hole beneath the tub itself to get to that. That means the kitchen ceiling. If you have already had water dripping through the ceiling , you already have drywall damage (insurance claim?) and should replace it. Mold is the new Asbestous- nobody really knows how harmful it is and may take 50 years to figure it out. Good luck. Process of elimination.

Kitchen ceiling is T&G pine, not the easiest to remove and have it look the same after. I'm assuming since the water made it through the floor and ceiling so easily that the floor zone gets a fair amount of air flow allowing the water that was retained in that zone to dry, hopefully.

I guess the case I am worried about is the slight overfilling of the tub with the small amount of water draining to nowhere, not the over the top overfilling. I described above that I think in that case that small overfill drain wouldn't keep up with the water coming in. Can someone vouch for the flow capability of the overfill drain?