+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Moving HVAC return?

I am removing a wall to open a kitchen and living room. There is a cold air return on the wall which runs between floor joists 16 OC width. Any suggestions or ideas as to what I could do with it? I would rather not have a register smack dab in the middle of my newly defined space if I could help it!

Default Re: Moving HVAC return?

Also, you should avoid putting the return in the kitchen. Keeps the cooking byproducts (smells, steam, grease, etc) from getting circulated through the house. Try to go the other direction when relocating the return.

Thank you both. Unfortunately my situation is exactly what you both suggested not to do! Opposite my return is a vent and the other wall is in the kitchen. Lesser of two evils prevails and I guess I will put in on the toe kick in kitchen. No more cooking with garlic!

Can you possibly relocate it to a side interior wall of the other room?

Where ever you move it to don't forget to seal it with mastic all the way around- and if it is in the kitchen toe kick- do yourself a favor if you have room put a sheet metal "T" at the boot -so you can catch water or any other things that may fall into the opening- you don't want anything sucked into the fan...
    You can put a cap on the T so you can access it to clean it.

return in kitchen>> >T---->>>>return duct to unit
    ---------------------cap^
    under here
    Last edited by Infraredsurvey.com; 02-20-2008 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Can you possibly relocate it to a side interior wall of the other room?
    Unfortunately directly across room is the actual vent. I think it would work at toekick in kitchen. Thanks to other submit about T to keep out debris . . . luckily my kids only plug up the toilet and have yet to discover the yards of metal tunnels in the house.

Typically around here the heat is in the toe kick.... whatever works out for you.