+ Reply to Thread

Default Which Size Makes The Space Look Bigger?

I am doing my kitchen over and I am at the point where I need to lay tile. It is a small galley kitchen so I am wondering if larger sized tile (18"x18") makes the kitchen appear larger or if smaller tile (12" x 12" or smaller) makes the kitchen appear bigger.

Default Re: Which Size Makes The Space Look Bigger?

Small room = small tile.

You wanna make sure that you can see a decent number of tiles in each direction. If its only 3ft wide, with an 18" tile you'd only be able to get two tiles across, thats not going to look very good.

Sometimes laying the tile on a 45 makes narrow small square or rectangle fields look bigger. Experiment with placement dry and see if that might work for you.

Agree that small areas look better with smaller tile - perhaps select a tile design which breaks up the visual even further making the patern even smaller or using mosaic sheets.

You can decide for yourself when you look at a picture of my kitchen.

I have large tile in my galley kitchen. It's been here about 5 years, it was laid the month the previous owners accepted a job in Wyoming and left the house empty for 2 years before we bought it.

The tiles are 13"
    Debby in Oklahoma

Smaller tiles make it appear larger, but you must be careful not to make them to small or they just make you dizzy.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb