+ Reply to Thread

Arrow ---------------------------------

----------------
    Last edited by asc2078; 08-18-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Default Re: Unusual Electric Meter Base question?

Well , you certainly picked a good one here . Can you power this load with a generator while the work is being done ?
    At the moment , I can't think of any other way to keep the customer in business while you tear out this old meter base . At least not anything cost effective . Why is this service so critical ? Is it a milking barn or some type of process ?
    Kent , what say you ?

First thing you need to do is check with the power company, they may own the base and meter. It would then be their responsibility to cahange it. That sounds like a construction set up or mobile home hook-up.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    First thing you need to do is check with the power company, they may own the base and meter. It would then be their responsibility to cahange it. That sounds like a construction set up or mobile home hook-up.
    Jack
    Or an old time farm set up. As in back in the day, farmers would do about anything the way they wanted to do and would be happy with the outcome.
    Not picking on farmers, just an observation on the way they did things..

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Or an old time farm set up. As in back in the day, farmers would do about anything the way they wanted to do and would be happy with the outcome.
    Not picking on farmers, just an observation on the way they did things..
    I resemble that remark!
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

"Because of the location and other factors, it is next to impossible to coordinate with the power company to get it turned off, do the replacement and get the power turned back on in a time frame that does not jeopardize the operation that it is needed for."

I guess I misunderstood your question . I thought that you were concerned with keeping the power on while making the repairs , hence my suggestion for the generator .

Back in the early 80’s the company I worked for did a ton of work with an HVAC contractor. At that time many people who did not previously have air conditioning in their homes were having it installed. Many of these homes were in older residential areas with overhead services and many of the homes had old split bus panels. The Denver Building Dept. was requiring a service upgrade and removal of the split bus panels, grounding etc..

I do not remember how many service changes I did but it was a bunch.

I am not going to suggest that you do this but at the time I never gave it a second thought.

I would cut the service drop loop loose just past the connection between the triplex and the mast conductors and tape them off. Then rip out the old service and install the new service, meter and riser.

Then working carefully I would strip the conductors back one at a time between the mast and also the hot triplex conductors, use a split-bolt on each and wrap each with rubber tape and then Scotch 33 or 88. I wore gloves at first but later felt they kind of got in the way as I have never been much of a glove wearer and did the connections bare handed.

As long as you’re not grounded in any way you can be the same potential as either hot conductor and not be shocked.

Anyway, back then it was SOP and an expected part of the job. The electricians were I work now could be fired for doing the same thing.

Although, we did a pretty major office build out and renovation before we moved into the building we are in now. The electrical inspector was requiring that we remove an old emergency service that was tied in ahead of the main disconnect. The guys were talking about scheduling a shut down and when and what time and yadda yadda yadda……….

I ripped it out hot when nobody was looking…………..

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I resemble that remark!
    Jack
    So do I
    You must admit you will see the oddest wiring om farms...
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 02-20-2008 at 05:24 PM.