+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down doorway header size - non bearing wall

Widening a doorway opening in nonbearing , interior wall, first floor of two story house.. original 32" wide header was a single 2x4 on the flat... now making opening to 72 inches and I propose using 2-2x6 on edge with 1/2" plywood spacer... but advice from all sources is different... From 2x4 up to 2x12!!!... This is crazy... no one rule to follow... The wall runs parallel to joist, house construction is truss roof with load bearing exterior walls... any advice would be helpful.... No sagging seen anywhere in the house... space is limited so 2X6 is best fit.... All advice welcome....

Default Re: doorway header size - non bearing wall

Non-bearing wall, the header only supports the stubs and drywall or plaster above the door. I would think a header for 2 2x4"s plus ½plywood would be more than sufficient.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: doorway header size - non bearing wall

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Non-bearing wall, the header only supports the stubs and drywall or plaster above the door. I would think a header for 2 2x4"s plus ½plywood would be more than sufficient.
    Jack
    I agree, 2X4s will work, but if you have 2X6s purchased and on the job and they will fit in the opening, go for it...Just don't make it any harder on yourself...