+ Reply to Thread

Default Backyard Wasteland - Help!

My husband and I are in the middle of complete home and yard renovations. During Hurricane Ivan our wooded backyard was emptied by a tornado. The tornado picked up 5 large hardwood trees,twisted them together and dropped them in the middle of the backyard. We cleared as much as we could and gave up! We have just recently had a clearing company completely clear the debris pile...oh my god!...we have a wasteland! We are currently in the process of having 3 loads of topsoil put in the war zone...and we want to sod the area. What preparations do we need to do to the yard between dirt distribution and sod placement? What is the best drought tolerant grass? The area is about 1/3 acre. We appreciate any help.

Default Re: Backyard Wasteland - Help!

Quote Originally Posted by bamakat View Post
    My husband and I are in the middle of complete home and yard renovations. During Hurricane Ivan our wooded backyard was emptied by a tornado. The tornado picked up 5 large hardwood trees,twisted them together and dropped them in the middle of the backyard. We cleared as much as we could and gave up! We have just recently had a clearing company completely clear the debris pile...oh my god!...we have a wasteland! We are currently in the process of having 3 loads of topsoil put in the war zone...and we want to sod the area. What preparations do we need to do to the yard between dirt distribution and sod placement? What is the best drought tolerant grass? The area is about 1/3 acre. We appreciate any help.
    Test the soil, including topsoil being brought in, for nutrient levels. With the work I've done in the city, there is nothing in the soil for the grass to grow on, so I bring in municipal compost and cover the area to a depth of 2" to 4", then rototill it thoroughly and deeply into the soil. This will give the soil a boost as well as give the grass something to grow in for a very long time (about a year, depending on conditions ). Your soil, having been a wooded area, may be ok with nutrient levels (hence the test), however the trees could have made it acidic and require a pH adjustment for optimal grass growing conditions.

I can't recommend a species of grass for your area, however your sod dealer should have quite a selection depending on what you're trying to achieve, and can discuss the pro's and con's of one variety over another.

In case you're wondering what municipal compost is, in my area we have street pick-up of yard debris, which the city then takes to a facility for composting. Once the process is completed, the material is screened and either sold directly to the public or wholesaled to landscape suppliers. It is a cheap and relatively natural way to enhance soil with growing goodness your plants will thrive in. If you have access to a manure source (horse stable, feed lot, dairy, etc ) you can use it instead of the compost.

Default Re: Backyard Wasteland - Help!

I don't know what your summers are like, I assume hot, but if they tend to be as dry as where I am you might want to wait until August to seed or sod. Sod is a little more forgiving, but you'll still need to keep it watered during the summer. Getting sod layed asap would help it establish before the summer though.