+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reusing tile

Hybrid View

Default Reusing tile

I pulled up several dozen 13"X13" tiles from my kitchen floor. The substrate was sheet vinyl, so they came up pretty easily & for the most part, whole. Is it possible to reuse this tile elsewhere in the house? I know that the tile adhesive has added about 1/4" to the thickness, but where I would use it its not an issue. Will new adhesive stick to the old adhesive? Can I adhere the tile adhesive to the tile if there is less than 50% old adhesive on the tiles by squeezing it in between the old adhesive gaps? If not, how hard to remove it from the tile? Unfortunately, since it wasn't my installation, I have no idea what was used for adhesion, but it is grey & feels very cement-like.

Default Re: Reusing tile

you can reuse them if you spend the time to clean off all the old thin set. but how much can a 13 x13 tile cost 2 bucks each? is it worth the time?

I would chuck them and start fresh with new. make sure your substraight is good. use backer board. as you can see tiling over vinyl does not work. and that is why the tiles came up so easy. it does not stick.

start fresh always works better.

Default Re: Reusing tile

Its not that I don't want to spend on new tile - its oly 50-60 tiles overall in an entry & a laundry room. But the tile was used in 2 rooms originally. So I still have that same tile in the house & would like to have some continuity without ripping the rest of the tile out.