+ Reply to Thread

Default Exterior primer not top coated

I did a lot of work on my porch last summer and my big goal was to get a coat of primer on it before winter. Mission accomplished! oil based primer went on in October. Then right after that I saw an episode on Ask TOH where their painting expert said something like "make sure you get the top coat on in 30 days, because after that the surface becomes chalky and the top coat won't stick." Doh!!!! OK so now what? I don't know if I should sand and re-prime this spring before applying a top coat or what. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
    Last edited by tgosrich; 02-18-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo's

Default Re: Exterior primer not top coated

You should only have to clean it and re-prime before painting. Primer will adhere a lot better than paint. You should also remember this when you purchase pre-primed items from the store, like pre-primed doors or shutters. You don't know how long that primer has been on there, so it is always best to re-prime.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thats right make sure that it is cleaned and reprimed and then paint the next day, or if you use zinser you can recoat in 2hours. but get it done and complete it and don't wait.

Excellent. Thanks a lot guys. I will get on it after the thaw.