+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question There's an apple in my toilet

My 3 year old son tried to flush an apple down our toilet. I have plunged and plunged until I can't plunge anymore. I can't get it unstopped. What should I do? Someone told me not to use a snake because they thought it might hurt the pipes, then another person told me to use the snake. Another person said I have to take the whole toilet apart or call a plumber. I am wondering if the apple will rot and then I can plunge it? Or, should I try a snake? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: There's an apple in my toilet

In a case like this you should not try to plunge it down the drain. Instead you should put the plunger in the toilet, slowly compress it, set it so it is in tight and sealed and give it a yank and try to suck the apple back into the bowl, or use a wet/dry shop vac, fill the bowl to normal level, put the nozzle in the bottom of the bowl seal around it with a rag, and turn on the vac. It may take several tries. If that doesn't work you can try a "toilet snake" or pull the toilet and back flush it.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Tough call from here. Eventually.........the apple should rot enough to plunge or fall back out into the bowl. Depends upon exactly where it's stuck.

On that note.....if it's stuck at the top of toilet trap and you have a shop vac........you could try inserting the hose and see if you can grab it/extract it that way.

I had to extract a little plastic dinosaur from a toilet a couple months ago. Required yanking the toilet and resetting in that instance. Wasn't likely to degrade and flush out for a few hundred years anyway.

Had to disassemble a hot-tub a few years back to extract a plastic doll's head. Dang kids. I never did anything like that myself when I was young and stupid.

I rotted a washcloth/dishtowel by pouring 2 gallons of bleach in the bowl and letting it sit over night.

My cousin's landlord swears by this. His asks them to it before they call him for repairs.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Debbysewn,
    The problem I have with that is if it doesn't work , you still have to deal with the clog and now the chemicals. Iw ould sugest before you try that, dump some bleach in a bowl or bucket and see if it will disolve an apple.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-18-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Duh. Just reread this thread and saw that Jack had already suggested the shop-vac. That'll teach me about posting when it's late, I'm tired......and shoulda been in bed.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-18-2008 at 09:13 PM.

It seems like there would be SOMETHING that would cause the apple to fall apart . The apple in a bucket experiment sounds like a good idea .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    It seems like there would be SOMETHING that would cause the apple to fall apart .
    Apples should be baked in 450* oven for 45 minutes before being flushed down toilet.

If a toilet auger won't dislodge the apple, then the fastest, safest, and easiest method will be to pull the toilet, turn it upside down in the tub/shower, and push it back into the bowl from the bottom. You'll need a device that is capable of flexing through the kneck of the toilet bowl, yet stiff and strong enough to dislodge the apple.

Replace the wax ring before resetting the toilet.

Bail/sponge all water from the bowl..........then put a rat (the furry kind with teeth) in there and close the lid. Wait an hour.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-18-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Always trying to find work for your pets, aren't you ****y.
    Jack