+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulation wet behind shower walls

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this question or not but here goes!
    I removed my tub and shower because the tile in the shower was deteriorating. The tile pretty much fell off. The two layers of drywall underneath were saturated and moldy.

The paper face of the insulation behind the shower was damp and crumbled. I removed the paper face from the insulation that was in the shower area. My idea was to let everything dry. Then remove the insulation and cleanup the mold. Then put new insulation. The temperature here is in the mid 30's so I didn't want bare walls in the bathroom.

That was about a week ago. Last night I noticed the 2x4 base plates along the floor in the area behind the shower were wet again. The insulation was very wet, and the aluminum faced outside sheathing behind the insulation was wet. The insulation and sheathing where the tub was is still dry.

We have had a week of temperatures in the 20's and 30's and a lot of rain so the humidity is high.

My question is, does removing the paper from the insulation in the shower area make that much difference? We don't use plastic vapor barriors in this area. I can't believe a piece of paper can make that much difference.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Ron

Default Re: Insulation wet behind shower walls

My question is, does removing the paper from the insulation in the shower area make that much difference? We don't use plastic vapor barriors in this area. I can't believe a piece of paper can make that much difference.
    One of the reasons that paper faced insulation hasen't been used here for a number of years is..... it's been determined a poor system as a vapor barrier.

Perhaps you might consider using a continious plastic sheet vapor barrier .... it has proven to be effective.

Just some thoughts.