+ Reply to Thread

Default drywalling over paneling

We've just purchased a 50yr. old home and it is covered in paneling room to room. Can I just drywall over it to save on demolition & haul away. And will,I get the added benefit of extra insulation by doing so. I know I'll be giving up minimal room demetions.

Default Re: drywalling over paneling

The short answer is ... sure you can.

However , there will be issues with window and door trims as well baseboards to consider because of the extra thickness of the drywall. The switches and plugs may need extensions added because these will be recessed the thickness of the drywall.
    To gain added insulation this way ... probably less than R1 ... though the paneling may be stopping drafts which would help.

Depending on what's behind the paneling removing it may afford the opportunity to correct some underlying issues like ..... inadequate insulation , wiring , moisture problems, etc..

Sometimes a shortcut isn't always best for the long run.

Just a thought.

Ditto what Canuk said.

Heating & cooling costs aren't getting any cheaper.

Now is the hour.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-17-2008 at 11:16 PM.

I agrfee also. usually paneling is just nailed with little paneling nails and then you can skim the nail holes sand and prime and paint done deal.

if the paneling is nailed and glued... is it over drywall? over plaster? or just on the studs.

check it out. but as stated the simple may not be that simple. also remember if you drywall over it I would remove all the door casings, window casing base crown etc. then do new. also plugs need to have the little blue extension boxes added to bring the plugs out and you must use them or else it is a fire hazard. they are cheep and easy to install.

have fun. and remember to do it right the first time and it will look better and you will feel better.

half ass does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by kreg mcmahon View Post
    I agrfee also. usually paneling is just nailed with little paneling nails and then you can skim the nail holes sand and prime and paint done deal.

if the paneling is nailed and glued... is it over drywall? over plaster? or just on the studs.

check it out. but as stated the simple may not be that simple. also remember if you drywall over it I would remove all the door casings, window casing base crown etc. then do new. also plugs need to have the little blue extension boxes added to bring the plugs out and you must use them or else it is a fire hazard. they are cheep and easy to install.

have fun. and remember to do it right the first time and it will look better and you will feel better.

half ass does not work.
    I have to agree too, Well said Kreg.
    Debby in Oklahoma